Culture & Art Centres EPIRUS (Region) GREECE - GTP + Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 12 sub titles with search on: Culture & Art Centres  for wider area of: "EPIRUS Region GREECE" .


Culture & Art Centres (12)

Museums

Skoufas Folk Arts Museum

ARTA (Town) EPIRUS

IOANNINA (Town) EPIRUS
  The museum was inaugurated in 1995. The building (1960) hosting the museum is located in the center of the town of Ioannina and used to function as a Royal Pavilion. It hosts collections of post-Byzantine icons (16th - 19th c. AD), sculpture from the Palaeochristian and Byzantine periods, terracotta, books and manuscripts, silver items (this is separate gallery housed in a nearby building with a displaying a reconstructed silversmith's workshop) and finds from archaeological excavations. In addition, the town of Ioannina is renowned for its silver jewellery. Some of the most important exhibits are:
•Icon (Saint John the Baptist) painted by the Cretan artist Theodoros Poulakis (second half of 17th c.)
•Manuscript Gospel (1575 A.D.)
•Wall painting from the Holly Church of Voulgareliou, Arta (1281)
•Wall painting from a mansion at Ioannina (19th c. AD, by Demiris)

This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs URL below.


  The Museum of Greek History is the work of artist P. Vrellis who is credited with the realization of a unique project that took him 13 years to complete: the natural size representation of various historical figures and events inspired by Greek history. He used wax to reproduce the effigies of historical figures and compose events. The museum itself (of 2500 m3 in volume) was completed in 1993 and was designed by the artist himself. P. Vrellis used to exhibit his wax effigies and concepts in his village, Bouzakaeoi of Ioannina, during the period 1975-1995. Currently, the museum's exhibits are classified in 36 thematic units each representing a series of historical events (e.g. battles), periods and historical figures of Greek history.
  Some of the museums representations are:
•The Secret School
•The founding of the Society of Friends (Filiki Etaireia)
•"Thieves and Men-at-Arms" (Kleftes kai Armatoloi)
•Theodoros Kolokotronis
•Regas Velestinlis
•Konstantinos Kanaris
•The Headquarters of 1940 (Kalpaki cave)
•The women of Pindos (1940)
•The Battle of Crete
•Asia Minor

This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs URL below.


KONITSA (Small town) IOANNINA
Permanent exhibition with photos of the monuments of Konitsa and greater area. It is located at the renovated traditional building of the archaeological area of Konitsa, near the stone bridge. According to the initial inscription on Arabic letters that is built-in left to the entrance into the floor, the building was constructed in 1869-70 in order to be used as a seminary. Its founder was sheik Zourabis, who characterizes the school, on the inscription, as the "birthplace of learning and studying". After the liberation and for many years the building used to serve as a nursery school. Nowadays, it hosts the photographs exhibition and serves as a place for welcoming the Ministry of Culture and for promoting the antiquities of Konitsa area. The color photos cover a long period of time of human cultural activity in the area, from 15000 B.C. until the end of 19th century.

This extract is cited June 2003 from the Municipality of Konitsa URL below, which contains images.


Folk Art Museum

KYPSELI (Village) ARTA

Averoff Gallery

METSOVO (Small town) IOANNINA
  The Gallery has been in operation since 1988 and includes about 250 works by the most important 19th and 20th-century Greek artists, such as Ghyzis, Volanakis, Iakovides, Parthenis, Maleas, Vyzantios, Moralis, Malamos, Prekas, Tetsis and others.
  Both the Gallery's collection and the modern three-storeyed building in which it is housed, were donated to the Evangelos Averoff-Tossizza Foundation by its creator and founder E. Averoff.
  The Averoff Gallery's collection is considered by specialists to be one of those which cover this particular period most completely.
  Some of the most important exhibits of the museum are:
P. Prossalendis the younger, "Portrait of G. Averoff".
Nikiphoros Lytras, "The blowing up of the Turkish flagship by Kanaris", 143x109 cm.
C. Parthenis, "G. M. Averoff", 85x68 cm.

This text is cited June 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains images.


Folk Arts Museum

PERDIKA (Small town) THESPROTIA
You can find lots of exhibits here donated or lent to the museum by the residents of Perdika, such as pieces of handicraft, tools of agriculture, traditional uniforms, weapons and various utensils. It is located at the main square opposite the Town Hall and adjacent to the Cultural Centre

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions