gtp logo

Location information

Listed 9 sub titles with search on: Main pages  for wider area of: "ITHAKI Municipality IONIAN ISLANDS" .

Main pages (9)


Anogi Community

ANOGI (Municipal district) ITHAKI
Tel: +30 26740 33509

Exogi Community

EXOGI (Municipal district) ITHAKI
Tel: +30 26740 51100

  Northwest of Cephalonia is situated the historic island of Ithaki, Ulysses’ homeland. The island is believed to have been named after the mythical hero Ithakos.
  It is a long, narrow island and its two peninsulas are linked together with Aetos’ isthmus.
  Vathi is the island’s capital. Lefki, Kioni, Frikes, Anogi, Exogi, Perahori and Stavros are Ithaki’s main villages.
  As it happens in the whole Eptanissa complex, Ithaki combines perfectly the beauty of the all-green mountains with the crystal clear blue sea.
  Its beaches enchant the visitor and the trees reaching the beach create a scenery of unique beauty, combining wildness with tranquility.
This text (extract) is cited January 2004 from the Assoc. of Local Authorities of Kefalonia & Ithaca tourist pamphlet.

The capital of the island is situated inside a sheltered cove of Molos Bay which seems like a lake. The houses, which were rebuilt after the earthquakes of 1953, are as before in the traditional architectural style. The blue waters and the verdant islet of Lazaretto in the middle of the harbour make a good first impression on the visitor.

Kioni Community

KIONI (Municipal district) ITHAKI
Tel: +30 26740 31766

Monastery of the Virgin Kathara

Tel: +30 26740 31247
  Kathara monastery is situated 566 m. above sea level, 6 klm. away from the homonymous village. There are two views concerning the construction of a church and a monastery, both dedicated to Virgin Mary (Panaghia). The first claims that peasants went to the area to burn ''kathara'', i.e. wild grass and thorns, found Virgin Mary's icon and decided to build a church there. The second view related the foundation of the monastery with the Catholic sect of Kathara. Whichever of the two views is true, it is a fact that Virgin Mary's church was built in 1696 and the monastery which was built a few years later was active until the 1980's.
  Nowadays no monks live in the monastery which is open only in summer offering hospitality to the visitors. Virgin Mary's icon is believed to have been painted by Loukas, the Evangelist. The church's wooden carved icon screen is also of superb beauty. Until recently another valuable icon, probably painted by El Greco, was kept in the monastery. The icon is depicting Jesus on the way to Calvary. This icon is today kept in Aghios Georgios' church, in Vounaki. Panaghia Kathariotissa who is the island's patron saint celebrates on 8th and 14th September and on Easter Sunday.

The island has joined the mainland because of the alluvion of the river of Achelous. The homonymous seasonal settlement is located on the eastern coast of the island.

Platrithia Community

PLATRITHIA (Municipal district) ITHAKI
Tel: +30 26740 31470

At a short distance from the village of Stavros lies the ancient Settlement of Pilikata. It is believed that the palace of Odysseus was situated on this hill. Excavations have brought to light a sculptured tomb and an altar from an ancient cemetery. These finds reveal the presence of human habitation on the island from the end of the third millennium B.C. In the small archaeological museum the visitor can see finds from the Cave of Loϊzos, Pilikata and the School of Homer. Amphorae, early Helladic vases, finds from the Neolithic era, Mycenaean pottery.

This text is cited December 2004 from the Ionian Islands Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures