Listed 45 sub titles with search on: Main pages
for wider area of: "SERRES
Main pages (45)
Founded by the Andrian colonists, west of the estuary of the Styrmon
River in the Archaic period (654 BC), it appears active until the Hellenistic
times after which it declined due to the great radiance of neighbouring Amphipolis.
The excavations of the recent years uncovered parts of a defensive enceinte, private
houses, public buildings and roads of the Archaic and Hellenistic city remarkably
well preserved. Two important tombs of Macedonian type have also been brought
to light, as well as clusters of rectangular tombs of the Classical and Hellenistic
This text (extract) is cited August 2003 from the Prefecture
of Serres tourist pamphlet.
Tel: +30 23250 51345, 51610
Tel: +30 23240 51935, 51860
Tel: +30 23210 31254
Tel: +30 23240 71779
Monastery of Icosifinissa
In a steep ravine of Paggeo Mountain there is the Holy Monastery of Icosifinissa in luxuriant and immaculate forests, where a mysterious silence reigns and is interrupted only by the whisper and the chirping of the birds. The Monastery has great historical value for many hundreds of years and it is commemorated in the name of the Virgin Mary, whose icon, not made by human hand, is kept there, painted from time immemorial and attracts the christians from all over Macedonia. The repartee of the Monastery's name, according to one version, comes from the word "είκοσι φοίνικες" (twenty phoenix). According to another version Germanos, the first founder, who showed despair about the water shortage problem and was thinking of building the Monastery in a different place, he had a vision, in which the Virgin Mary sent a blackbird (cossyfon), which discovered water between copius bushes.
From that moment onwards the Monastery was named Cossyphinissa and Cossynitsa. According to another, more prevalent version, the Monastery took its name from the icon not made by human hand, which was red. According to a tradition, the Monastery was founded in 518 A.C. by venerable Germanos who had a vision of God sending an angel and ordering him to establish the Monastery in Macedonia. The second founder of the Monastery is considered to be Dionysus, who served as Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (1472-1478). He was appointed a Saint by our Church and his relics are still kept in the Monastery. From 1805 and onwards the Reverend Fathers Chrysanthos (1805), Nectarios of Constantinople (1816-1818), Hatziananias (1818), Kyrillos (1821-1822) and Benjamin (1833-1834) consisted the body of National Resistance. Finally, it was in that Monastery that Emmanouil Papas put his men under oath
Tel: +30 23210 71189
of Timios Prodromos is located 12 km. NE of Serres, in the bottom of a ravine
on Mt Menoikion. The catholicon (main church) was built in the 14th century and
belongs to the single-aisled domed type with lite, narthex, exonarthex and an
oblong roofed portico on the south side (Makrynariki). On the north side are two
chapels and the belfry. The rest of the buildings are organized around the catholicon:
cells, abbot's quarters, school, refectory, library, hostel. The wall paintings
of the catholicon were executed in 1300-1333 and were continued in several periods,
by various artists.
The monastery was founded in 1275-1278 by monk Ioannikios from Serres
and a few years later it was renovated by his nephew, Ioakeim, bishop of Zichne.
It soon developed to an important monastic centre with great financial prosperity,
because it was favoured by the Byzantine emperors. Patriarch George Scholarios
(Gennadios) died here and was buried in the catholicon.
The monastery, still functioning today, acquired its final form with
the addition of many buildings during the Turkish occupation.
In the years between 1972 and 1986 the roofs of several buildings
were repaired. Since 1986 restoration has been carried out at the cells of the
east wing and at the north wing.
Tel: +30 23210 76466
Tel: +30 23210 76595
Tel: +30 23210 31258
Tel: +30 23210 73053
Tel: +30 23210 73073
Tel: +30 23210 31593
Tel: +30 23220 22540,
Fax: +30 23220 24166
The ancient city of Tragilos developed in Visaltia
inland, end of the 6th century BC and it was destroyed beginning of the 3rd century
AD. The excavations brought significant findings to light, from the Archaic and
the Classical cemetery of the city which includes large burial monuments with
paintings and relief. Part of public buildings were also uncovered, presumably
of an agora and a sanctuary. The Monastery
of John the Baptist, a dependency of the monastery
of Koutloumousiou in Mount
Athos, is located in the archaeological site of Tragilos.
This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture
of Serres tourist pamphlet.
Tel: +30 23210 32114