Main pages KALAMOTI (Small town) CHIOS - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Main pages  for wider area of: "KALAMOTI Small town CHIOS" .


Main pages (2)

Miscellaneous

ARMOLIA (Village) CHIOS
  The village of Armolia is located two kilometers from Kalamoti and 20 kilometers from the town of Chios on a fertile plain. The village constitutes the island’s central crossroad for the southern villages of Kalamoti, Komi, Pyrgi, Emborios, Olympi, Mesta, Vessa and Lithi. Visitors encounter an artificial lake upon their arrival, which provides water for the animals and is used to water crops. .
  The inhabitants of Armolia maintain a long tradition in ceramic pottery such as pitchers, vases, jars, bowls, cups, etc. This village is famous for its pottery that is decorated with flowers, birds and fish. In the village, there are small, stone houses, narrow side streets and cobbled roads.
  One of the most impressive iconostasis on the island can be found in the Church of Panaghia (Virgin Mary) and is dated 1744. This church is adjacent to the village’s central Church of Aghios Dimitrios.
  On the hill, just west of the village, stands the Byzantine castle of Apolihnon which was built 1440. The Genoese established the administrative mansion of the Mastihohoria (Mastic villages), a remarkable medieval monument which is still preserved and can easily be reached by visitors.
  Don’t miss... The Apolihnon Castle built in 1440 by the Genoese. The sign indicating the starting point of the trail is just a few feet from the ceramic pottery shops.

Το απόσπασμα παρατίθεται τον Φεβρουάριο 2004 από την ακόλουθη ιστοσελίδα, με φωτογραφίες, της Νομαρχιακής Επιτροπής Τουριστικής Προβολής Χίου


PATRIKA (Village) CHIOS
  The exact date that the village was built remains unknown, however, references made by travelers and historians indicate that the village was built around 1050. Legend has it that the first family to inhabit this village left the village of Kalamoti and searched for an area with better weather conditions. They came upon this hill and built a tower in which to reside in. This is the first house of the village belonging to the family "Mendona."
  The village, in its time, was a typical castle-village that was customary during that period. The houses were connected, each built right next to the other, without any windows or exterior doors. This architecture formed the protective wall, thus forming a castle village. Still in existence today are the stone balconies and windows that were built following the era of pirates.
  Inside the castle village today are two chapels. One belongs to Aghios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) and the other to Taxiarchi (the Archangel). These were also made from stone and were connected to houses thereby bonding them together. However, what differentiates these chapels from the houses is the fact that they are both shorter in height and can be distinguished by visitors.
  Today, visitors walk through the corridors of the village in awe of the ancient stone built houses, the cozy corners with opened and closed shutters, the multiple colored attic windows, in addition to the plethora of reconstructed shells that conceal within their walls popular art treasures such as pillars and fireplaces.
  There is a cafeteria located in the village square.

This text is cited Febr 2004 from the Chios Prefecture Tourism Committee URL below.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions