ALONISSOS (Port) NORTH SPORADES
Arriving on Alonissos with the ferry or the hydrofoil, one disembarks in Patitiri. Patitiri was chosen to be the main Port because is a natural harbour.
It took its name from the old wine pressures (Patitiria) that used to exists, from when Alonissos was a red wine produser island.
Patitiri became the main town of the island accomodating the facilities of life, today. Someone can find lots of places to stay and taste our delicious sea food snacks.
Further to the North we meet the next two fishing villages, Rousoum - Yialo and Votsi, located at two charming bays, one after the other. Continuing to the North, one finds many wonderfull beaches to swim such as: Milia, Chrisi Milia, Tzortzi - Yialo, Lefto - Yialo e.t.c.
The visitor can reach the beaches either by land or by sea, using cars or small taxi - boats which do these tours.
Leaving Patitiri and taking the main road, leading West, after 3 km. you come to the old village of Alonissos. For those who love walking, there is the old donkey path, which takes you from the port to the old Alonissos within 30min.
This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Municipality of Alonissos URL below, which contains image.
The Monastery of the Annunciation or the Evangelistria, as it is widely known, is one of the most remarkable monuments of Northern Sporades.< br>
The Monastery was built on the Agallianou site, where there were ruins of an old monastery. The complex was built from 1794 to 1806 and became the stronghold of "Kollyvades". A group of monks from Agion Oros, led by Niphon, due to a feud that emerged after the mid-18th century to the beginning of the 19th, left from there and went to several islands ( Patmos, Samos, Leipso etc.). After a short wandering they went to Skiathos, where they proceeded with the monastery’s building.
Monastery’s architecture is based on the one of the Agion Oros monasteries. The Cathedral is a condensed form of the Athonite type with the lateral spaces, the frugal and the splint and roofed by three domes, covered by gray slates. The rich rood screen projects into the simple space of the church. Only the Holy Step has frescoes from the time of the Greek Revolution, by painters from Galatista. In this space kept in ambries bones of many Saints. Outside the Catholic, within the monastery complex are the monks’ cells, the bank, the hospital, the hostel, the vesta (kitchen), the magkipeio, the taliagkra (olive press), the library, the chapels, the storerooms, the stable, etc. In addition, the monastery has a valuable library with many rare publications and documents, an eccestiastic museum, where are many priestly utensils and relics and a olive press/exhibition.
Daily itineraries from the town of Skiathos to the monastery service the visitors.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!