AGIOS GERMANOS (Village) PRESPES
Tel: +30 23850 51419
Fax: +30 23850 51419
The most traditional village of the area, with houses built in the local architectural style. The homonymous Byzantine church that formed the nucleus of the present village dates to the beginning of the 11th c. It has very interesting frescos painted in three different phases. Nearby, the aisle less church of Agios Athanassios was built at the end of the 18th c. Beside the post office, there is the Information Centre ready to help the visitors with useful information on the area, bird watching sites, hikes and the restrictions imposed in the area. There, one can also see permanent exhibitions about the cultural and environmental aspects of the region. On the northeast of the village, there is the Agios Germanos small river with falls and purling waters hosting the Trout Salmo trutta peristericus, an endangered endemic subspecies. This species has extremeiy iow populations, so fishing is not allowed in the area. One can also see the restored water mills along the river. Following the paths, one can reach the impressive mixed fir-beech forests,and the summits of Kitsevo or Despotiko (2,177m).The Sarakatsani, pastoralists from Thessaly, have the tradition of bringing their herds to graze on these mountains every year from May to October.
LEMOS (Village) PRESPES
Lemos, Presra's largest village with nearly 250 permanent inhabitants, is the administrative centre of the area. The visitor may enjoy a splendid view of both lakes from the hill of Ayios Ioannis with its picturesque chapel. The church of Ayia Paraskevi, in the centre of the village was build in 1896 probably on the site of an earlier church aw well. The church of the Ipapandi is locaded at the south edge of the village. It dades to the 15th c according to the frescosin the sanctuary.
MIKROLIMNI (Village) PRESPES
Mikrolimni is a small riparian village, with a long fishing tradition. At the entrance of the village stands the large stone church of Ayios Athanassios, dating from 1908. By walking carefully along the wet meadows next to the reed beds, or from the observation tower nearby, in the north of the village, one can see and fhotograph the rare herons that feed in the shallow waters on frogs, snakes, fish, insects ahd other aquatic organisms. Please keep distant from the animals to avoid disturbing them. Setting off on foot from Mikrolimni and following a path to the south, the visitor can reach the fabulous bay of Latsista with its amazing view of the lake and aquatic birds. The building next to the path is the Elliniki Etairia's Biological Station, used by scientists working in the area in the past. After a nice walk the visitor can enjoy fresh fish at the local tavernas near the lake.
OXYA (Settlement) PRESPES
Oxia is a small settlement with few permanent residents. On the road from Mikrolimni to Oxia, stands the church dedicated to Ayia Paraskevi, dated from 1868. In the village's cemetery, the church of Ayios Athanasios has frescos and icons dated to the 19th Century. Towards the east, in spring, one can admire and photograph the narcissus fields.
PLATY (Village) PRESPES
Tel: +30 23850 51208
One kilometer east of the village of Platy is the church of Ayios Nikolaos, which according to the local tradition is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Saviour and is called Ayia Sorita. Its simple exterior contrasts strongly with the lavishily painted interior decoration, which belongs to the end of the 16th c. Nearly Mikpi Prespa the visitor may see the ruins of the village of Opayia, which was abandoned before the 2nd World War due to malaria. The area limited by opayia, the Koula site and the asphalted road, includes the most sensitive part of the National Park core. Vromolimni ("Stinking Lake") is an internal body of water that communicates with the waters of Mikri Presra. Here large colonies of Pelicans and Cormorants can be found .Being such a delicate area, admission here is strictly forbidden. The visitor can watch the birds with binoculars or telescope from the observation post of the north, next to the road. This is one of the best places in Prespa for bird watching in spring.
PSARADES (Village) PRESPES
Tel: +30 23850 46207
The chapel of Agios Yeorgios lies at the highest point of the road Koula-Psarades. The place is surrounded by a stand of centenary Lunipers ( Juniperus foetidissima and J. excelsa), unique in Europe. This is so because they grow in an area considered holy and were therefore left undisturbed by the locals along the centuries. This is the second nucleus of complete protection of the National Park. In Psarades, the visitor may eat fresh fish from lakes in the local tavernas. Fishermen can take the visitor to the blue- green beaches of the lake and its steep rocky shores.
In these, natural and carved cavities in the rocks were places often used as hermitages and retreats, with frescos painted on the rocks and two churches. There is a path from Psarades one of them, the 'Metamorphosis'(Transfiguration), which dates from the early 13th c. The other is only reachable by boat-'Panayia Eleoussa' (The Virgin of Charity), dating to the end of the 14th c. and with remarkable wall paintings. According to the locals, this church is dedicated to Agios Petros (Saint Peter). Between these two monuments, is the hermitage of the Mikri Analipsi located high up in a small cavity in the rocks, dating to the 15th c. Kape Roti is at the end of the very nice footpath beginning from Psarades and heading north. At this point the visitor stands before the borders with Albania and FYROM found into the lake and above the deepest point of Lake Megali Prespa.
PYLI (Village) PRESPES
On the way from Agios Achilios to Pili, an Information Centre has permanent exhibitions about Birds and the Lakes, including Fish and Fishing. Southwest from the village of Pili, the visitor will find the ruins of a church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos, standing among the fields of beans and clovers and the wild lakeside plants. This church has many interesting architectural and decorative singularities, and there are many discussions on its dating (12th - 14th c ).
After about an hour's walk from Pili to the south, the visitor will arrive at the deserted village of Dasseri. The stone building at the highest part of the village, near the dirt road, used to be the school before its desertion in the civil war. The visitor also enjoys the beautiful view of the lake, the oak tree forests next to the reed beds and flooded green meadows. At the west of Pili, there is the "cave of Zachariades", used as the partisans? headquarters during the civil war.
This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Prespes URL below, which contains images
VRODERO (Village) PRESPES
Tel: +30 23850 46132
The road to the west of Pili leads to the ruined village of Pyxos, just before dedicated to Agia Paraskevi is standing proudly on the hill opposite the village. Dated from 1899, it is a typical example of the 19th c. basilicas in the Prespa, region. Located at the very western side of Prespa, Vrodero is a village of long stock-farming tradition. The Information Centre has exhibitions on the Animal Husbandry in the whole area and the Forests. From Vrodero there is a path that leads south to Agathoto, which is a ruined village on the shore of Lake Mikri Prespa with another church dedicated to Agia Paraskevi. Nearby the path, there is a cave, which sheltered the 'hospital' during the civil war.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!