gtp logo

Location information

Listed 12 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "CHANIA Municipality CRETE" .

Places of worship (12)


The Cathedral of the Virgin Mary (Trimartiri)

  The present Cathedral was built on the site of an older church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. This church had been converted into a soap-factory and belonged to the Turkish dignitary Moustafa Pasha Giritli. The construction of the church was completed in 1860 in the style of a three aisle Basilica. The middle aisle, covered by a pointed arch, is elevated. The other aisles are covered by cross-ribbed vaults and are divided vertically by the women’s balcony. On the north side of the temple is the tall bell-tower. The architectural elements of the temple are associated more with the tradition developed in the period of the Venician occupation. That is: sculptured pseudo-pillars, cornices and arched openings. The east wall is decorated with large and impressive religious paintings, the works of G. Kalliterakis, G. Stravrakis, E. Tripolitakis and D. Kokotsis.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


The Venetian church of Agia Ekaterini

  This is a two-aisled structure with a gabled facade. The base of a two-lobe bell-tower can still be seen in the yard. The door-frames are supported by chiselled pseudo-pillars and are crowned with gothic relief arches. In the interior, the vertical surfaces of the walls are separated with corniced arches. The naves are separated by two arches standing on chiselled pillars. The church dates from the latter half of the 16th century. It is dedicated to St. Catherine and St. John the Hermit.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.

Agia Magdalini

  This is an idiorythmic architectural type of church with a wide-angled nave ending in an ornamental dome of Russian style. It is surrounded by a perimetric arcade. It was built in 1901-1903 by the High Commissioner of Crete, Prince George, and was named in commemoration of a visit to Hania by his sister, Maria, wife to George, the Grand Duke of Russia. It was inaugurated on 6th January 1903 in the presence of Queen Olga of Greece and Prince George. On his departure, the prince gave the church back to the Municipality and the parish of Halepa.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.

Agii Anargiri Church

  This is a parish church in a district, in the Old Town, that bears the same name . After the conquest of Hania by the Turks (1645), it was the only church in the city allowed to offer holy services in the Orthodox religion until the 19th century. It is now used as the seat of the Bishop of Kythonia. The church consists of three parts. The arch-covered eastern part was built first. Later an extension was constructed on the west side, and a large nave was added on the north side. Finally, an extension was added to the south. Two icons, one of the Assumption of the Virgin and the other of the Second Coming, both painted in 1625, are of particular interest.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.

Agios Nikolaos Church in Splantzia

  The building complex of the Dominican Monastery of St. Nicholas, in Splantzia, was build in 1320 by the brotherhood of Candia. The original monastery, as portrayed in old maps, consisted of a church with a tall bell-tower and a two-floor arcade (chiostro) on the north side. The church is a basilica with a nave with an archaless, three part elevated holy sacrement area. The central part and the solum are covered by crossed domes with prominent ribs, while the side parts are covered by pointed arches. The roof of the rest of the church is made of wood and has only two sloping sides. An arched opening led from the nave to the arcade housing the monks' cells. Today only the closed court and part of the north side of the two floor arcade survive. In the years of the Turkish occupation the church was converted into a mosque, the Hioughar Tzamissi (The Sovereign’s Mosque), which was the central Mosque of the city. The Turks added a two-floor minaret on the south-west corner

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.

  A plaque at the entrance of Agios Nikolaos gives its history. The church was originally part of the thirteenth century monastery of Agios Nikolaos (the cloister is still evident on the north side of the church). The church of Agios Nikolaos in Chania was considered one of the most important in the city during Venetian times. It was wide and elegant with large pointed arches inside. The church was converted to the Sultan Ibrahim Mosque during the Turkish occupation. Today, although drastically renovated, the external walls and a long domed area separated in small sections on the north side of the church survive. The minaret of the Ibrahim Mosque stands beside the church of Agios Nikolaos and is in desperate need of renovation. During a mild earthquake in May 1994 it was feared that the minaret would collapse.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.

The Church of St. Rocco

  The church is still in good condition on the North-west side of "Splantzia Square", near the church of St. Nicholas. It consists of two , arch-covered naves. The older one, in the northern section has no decorations whatsoever. On the contrary, the southern part was built with ashlar-masonry in accordance with the architectural style of the Venician Manierism. Under the cornice of the southern section one can see the following inscription : DEO O(PTIMO) M(AXIMO). ET D(IVO). ROCCO DICATVM. M.D. CXXX (Dedicated to the best and greatest God and the Saintly Rocco 1630). The church was probably built after a plague epidemic; St. Rocco was supposed to protect people from the plague.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures