The very important Byzantine church of Ai Yannis Kyr-Yannis (formal name is Zoodohos Pigi) is on the road to Koufos. It is about 100 metres from the road, set among the orange trees. The church of Ai Yannis Kyr-Yannis (14C) is a most intriguing and pleasantly situated Byzantine church. It was built on a tenth century church that was destroyed by an earthquake in 1303, and had been influenced by the new Byzantine architectural ideas from Agia Sofia, among others. The church has cruciform architecture and rooms of a smaller height complete the church to form a rectangular shape. It has a narthex in front separated into three parts which are shorter than the rest of the church. The church had two domes, one at the intersection of the main aisles of the cross and one in the narthex. Around the church there are blind arches of nearly the same height as that of the church. The windows of the church are narrow and long and have the familiar Byzantine brick decorations around the window. Some windows have a column with a column capital so that two spaces to the right and left are created for the light to come in. The back of the church is decorated by two series of windows and blind arches, one above the other. Inside the church there are remains of marble columns and column heads. Some wall paintings are still visible. The church is tucked away among the orange groves of Kydonia, from which the springtime blossoms' fragrance is exquisite--the snow-capped Lefka Ori complete the scene.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
MESKLA (Village) MOUSSOURI
In the lower part of the village on a dirt road, there is the Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos with wall paintings by Theodore and Michalis Venieri (1403), many of which, unfortunately, are in poor condition. The artists signed their names on the donor's inscription.
The church of the Panagia (14C) dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin was built on the remains of an older temple dating from the Classical period and some mosaics were recently removed from a fifth or sixth century church. It is at the end of the village in front of the large newer church of the same name.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
The church of Michael Archangelos has a column of an earlier building
on its roof. The church is at the entrance of the village
SAMARIA (National Park) CHANIA
The fourteenth century Byzantine church here is dedicated to Osia Maria of Egypt and contains wall paintings. The name "Samaria" is a contraction of Osia and Maria. The church is located on the other (south) side of the village and is reached by a path from the main trail after the emergency heliport.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!