ANISSARAKI (Settlement) KANDANOS
In Anisaraki there is the church of Agia Anna with frescoes from 1462 and nine donors of the church are shown. The painted stone altar screen (iconostasis) is also a rare feature in this church.
The church of the Panagia, with good quality, well-preserved fourteenth
The church of Agia Paraskevi with frescoes from the fourteenth century.
FLORIA (Settlement) KANDANOS
In Kato Floria is the Byzantine church of Agios Georgios with well-preserved wall paintings by Ioannis Provatopoulos dated 1497. The donor of the church is shown to the right of the door and outside the church there is a melon decoration.
This extract is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
The church of Agii Pateres is in Ano Floria with wall paintings by
Xenos Digenis dated 1462
KADROS (Settlement) KANDANOS
In Kadros is the Byzantine church of the Panagia. Outside the Panagia there are ancient columns from an earlier building. The church also has well-preserved frescoes, among which the unusually austere figure of the Panagia is dominant.
KANDANOS (Village) CHANIA
Sotiras Christos, in the neighbourhood of Tzevremiana, is one of the most important churches in Crete. The church itself does not seem to be very old, but it has many parts of an older basilica incorporated into its construction. There are column capitals of an older church throughout the newer one. A part of a cross and a column have been built in the wall of the church. There are also several small columns with crosses that have been used to support blind arches in the interior of the church. The local people believe that all those pieces belonged to an older bishopric church. The church itself is of a single aisle, long, and has interesting Byzantine brick decorations at the back. Brick decorations have also been constructed around the church's back window. The church has blind arches to support its structure. Inside the church there are interesting frescoes from the fourteenth century.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
KAVALARIANA (Settlement) KANDANOS
In Kavalariana there is the Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos with frescoes by Ioannis Pagomenos dated at 1327. The fourteen donors of the church are shown in two groups.
PLEMENIANA (Village) KANDANOS
After Plemeniana, on the road from Kandanos to Paleohora, is the church of Agios Georgios with large, handsome frescoes from the beginning of the fifteenth century. The two donors of the church are again shown; the woman is kneeling.
South of Kandanos, there is the church of the Panagia Mirtidiotisa (Our Lady of the Myrtles). The short
narrow path that leads to the church has old myrtle trees along it and the fresco
of the donors depicts them among myrtle.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!