MIRES (Small town) HERAKLIO
The village of Mires is 53km south of Iraklion on the road Iraklion - Agia Varvara - Agii Deka - Mires. It is a busy commercial town in the centre of the Mesara Plain. There are a number of Byzantine churches in the area near Mires.
The Byzantine church of Timios Stavros is a small, well-preserved,
white-washed church. It is cruciform with a dome which has characteristic arches
MONOCHORO (Settlement) MIRES
In the small village Monohoro, just north of Mires, is the Byzantine church of the Panagia. The church of the Panagia contains frescoes of 1345, in one the donor is presented in a garden. The church has an unusual door with relief and paintings above the it. Another old collapsed church is just in front of the Panagia.
This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
MONI APEZANON (Monastery) MIRES
Tel: +30 28920 97390
The historic monastery of Apezanes is located to the south of Moires, 63 km from Heraklion, in one of the plateaus opened among the rocky barriers of the Asterousia mountains and overlooking the Libyan Sea. The monastery flourished during the Venetian era in Crete (1204-1669), when it developed to a major centre of literature and theology and even led the resistance to the propagation of papal influence in the island. During the succeeding period of Ottoman rule the monastery suffered several destructions and shrank gradually to a small rural monastic community. Today the three-aisled basilica of the katholikon stands witness to its turbulent past. The church is dedicated to the Transfiguration, the Three Holy Hierarchs and St. Anthony, the latter being also the patron saint of the monastery.
The Odigitria Monastery is about 70km southwest of Iraklion on the road Iraklion - Agia Varvara - Agii Deka - Festos - Sivas - Odigitria Monastery. The Odigitria Monastery is quite old and although we do not know the exact date of its construction, many icons of the monastery are known to be of the fifteenth century, and an inscription on the outer wall is dated 1568. The Odigitria Monastery has important icons and vestments on display. The Tower of Xopateras (ex-father) to the left of the entrance is named after a hero of the Mesara area, Ioannis Markakis. Markakis, a former priest, defended himself and his family in the tower with a small number of people against thousands of Turks. Eventually the Turks killed them all and beheaded Markakis.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!