EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 96 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "RETHYMNO Prefecture CRETE" .


Places of worship (96)

Churches

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  The Byzantine church of the Panagia is in Agia Galini cemetery, overlooking the beach. It is of rather unusual architecture with two aisles at right angles to the main east-west aisle of the church.


Agia Paraskevi and Agios Georgios Church

  At the south entrance of the village is the church of Agia Paraskevi and Agios Georgios. It is a two-aisled church but no frescoes are preserved.


Byzantine church of the Panagia

  In the village of Agia Paraskevi there is the Byzantine church of the Panagia which contains some well-preserved paintings of good artistic quality. One of the frescoes shows the donors of the church, a priest - Georgios Varouhas - and a woman in black. The head of the priest is an exceptional piece of art. The Panagia Church is in the middle of the village before the modern church.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


AGIA TRIADA (Settlement) ARKADI

Byzantine church of Agia Triada and Agios Nikolaos

  In the centre of the village of Agia Triada is the Byzantine church of Agia Triada which contains some frescoes. The church is two aisled (Agia Triada and Agios Nikolaos).


AGIOS DIMITRIOS (Settlement) ARKADI

Byzantine church of Agios Dimitrios

In the village of Aghios Dimitrios, which is situated 10 km east of Rethymno on the road to Arkadi, the cruciform church of Aghios Dimitrios inscribed with a cupola can be found. It dates back to the 11th century.


Agios Dimitrios Church

  The large and beautiful Byzantine church of Agios Dimitrios, of cruciform architecture, has a large dome on a drum, several high blind arches for support and decoration and there are remains of frescoes.


Byzantine cemetery church of Agios Ioannis

  The Byzantine cemetery church of Agios Ioannis can be seen from the village below the valley. The church contains some frescoes.


AKOUMIA (Village) LAMBI

Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos

  In the village of Akoumia is the Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos which contains good fourteenth century frescoes. The man with a red dress on the south wall and the woman with a white dress in the west wall were the donors of the church. Externally the church looks like two churches joined in one.

This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


AMNATOS (Village) ARKADI

Agia Marina Church

  The Byzantine church of Agia Marina, exactly opposite the treasury, has melon reliefs above its entrance door.


Agios Antonios byzantine church

  Agios Antonios Church in Aggeliana has a narthex, an unusually high dome with oval windows.


Agia Irini byzantine Church

  Agia Irini, also in Ano Viran Episkopi was the bishopric of Ario for a period. Few marble remains of this three-aisled basilica are visible today. A new church, Agii Anargiri, has been built on top of it.


ANOGIA (Small town) RETHYMNO

Agios Ioannis Church

  The church of Agios Ioannis is below the main square near the town hall. One of its aisles still has pleasant frescoes although they are extremely blackened.


Byzantine church of Agios Georgios Xifoforos

  In Apodoulou there is the Byzantine church of Agios Georgios Xifoforos (Sword-bearing) with an inscription of 1496 and frescoes by Iereas Anastasios. The church is a single room with three blind arches on each side, better to support the church and provide more drawing space. Agios Georgios has been painted on his horse between two blind arches.

This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


APOSTOLI (Village) SYVRITO

The Byzantine cemetery church of Agios Nikolaos

  The cemetery church of Agios Nikolaos contains fourteenth and fifteenth century frescoes and the paintings of the donor, the man in a strange white gown, are shown. The church, to the right up the steps in the village, has a superb view of the Amari valley.

This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains image.


Panagia of Barozzi

  The Byzantine church of the Panagia of Barozzi is in a neighbourhood with many old Venetian buildings and a pleasant view.


Late byzantine church of Michael Archangelos

  The church of Michael Archangelos, in Asomatos, south of Arhanes, contains frescoes of a good quality and in good state of preservation dated 1315. The donor of the church is shown with his wife (damaged) offering a model of the church to Michael Archangelos.


AXOS (Village) KOULOUKONA

Byzantine cruciform church of Agia Irini

  The Byzantine church of Agia Irini at the crossroads below the cemetery is from the fourteenth or fifteenth century and has cruciform architecture with a dome with many blind arches. The windows and doors have carved decorations on them. A melon carved in stone appears on the exterior of the church.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Agios Ioannis Church

  Agios Ioannis is near the cemetery and has high quality well-preserved frescoes and a mosaic floor.


Byzantine church of the Panagia Kera

  The Byzantine church of the Panagia Kera has cruciform architecture with a dome on a drum. In front of the church there is a large narthex at right angles to the nave and which is higher than the main part of the church. Between the narthex and the church itself there are two supporting columns in the wall. The church contains frescoes, the most interesting being a large painting of the Virgin Mary. The church's location allows for a marvellous view of the valley.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Agios Eftihios Church

In the area of the village of Chromonastiri and some 12 km from Rethymno the single-aisled, cruciform and domed church of Aghios Eftychios is situated at the place of Perdiki Metochi. The interior walls are covered with frescoes dating back to the 11th century.


Agios Eftihios Church

  The Byzantine church of Agios Eftihios is a large church that has cruciform architecture with a large dome on the intersection of the nave and transept. The overall architecture of the church is cruciform. The back of the church has a window separated in two by a column. The interior of the church is very beautiful. It is decorated with bricks in the traditional Byzantine manner. Some traces of frescoes still remain in the church which reflect the so-called Macedonian style from Constantinople.

This extract is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


DRIMISKOS (Village) LAMBI

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  In Drimiskos there is the Byzantine church of the Panagia which has pleasing outside decorations and a stone carving in the form of a melon. The church contains good quality but mostly white-washed frescoes. Remainders of an earlier building are in front of the church.


ELEFTHERNA (Village) ARKADI

Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos

  On the eastern side of the acropolis hill, reached through the village of ancient Eleftherna, there is the Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos from the tenth century, which contains frescoes of the twelfth century. It has cruciform architecture and a rectangular shape. The church has re-used materials from an earlier church of the sixth century, a basilica which is believed to have been the bishopric of Eleftherna during the first Byzantine period. Lower still, on the same dirt track, there are the remains of another basilica of the first Byzantine period, a Roman villa, and of a second Greek bridge.

This extract is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


ELENES (Village) SYVRITO

Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos

  In the village of Elenes there is the Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos with pleasant wall paintings dated 1609 as well as old icons in the church.


ERFI (Village) ARKADI

Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis

  In the centre of the village of Erfi there is the Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis, which has some interesting frescoes in it.


GERAKARI (Village) SYVRITO

The 12C church of Agios Ioannis Theologos

  The village of Gerakari was levelled by the Germans in the World War II after the abduction of General Kreipe. The area of Gerakari contains several old churches. In the location Foti, on the main road, is the Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis Theologos with well-preserved thirteenth century wall paintings. The church is a single room and has a narthex in front of it and a dome. The dome is decorated with blind arches made with bricks.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Outside the village of Gerakari, and 41 km from Rethymno, the church of Aghios Ioannis the Theologist is situated, which dates back to the 13th century. This single-aisled church has a tiled roof. The domed narthex was added later. The church is ornamented with particularly interesting frescoes.


KALAMAS (Settlement) GEROPOTAMOS

Byzantine church of Agios Georgios

  In the village of Kalamas is the Byzantine church of Agios Georgios. The church has cruciform architecture and two narthexes in front of the church, at right angles to the main axis. It has a high dome in the centre of the cross and blind arches at the sides of the church. The narthex makes it resemble a three-aisled church. On the outside the church has blind arches and brick decorations. There is also an old grave inside and some frescoes remain.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


KARDAKI (Settlement) SYVRITO

Byzantine church of Astratigos

  The cemetery church of Astratigos is visible from the main road, below the village. The church contains some frescoes.


KASTRI (Settlement) GEROPOTAMOS

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  In Kastri itself is the Byzantine church of the Panagia. The church has two long aisles one much wider than the other. It may have been a three-aisled basilica in the past. It has an attractive back window and blind arches on the back walls.


Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis

  In Kato Varsamonero is the single-roomed Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis which contains frescoes of good quality.


KISSOS (Village) LAMBI

Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos

  The church of Sotiras Christos, which is located on the main road through the village, is a double-aisled church containing frescoes.


Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis


Byzantine church of the Panagia


The church of Agio Pnevma Monastery

  The monastery of Agio Pnevma is located outside the village. The monastery played an important educational role in the years of the Turkish occupation.


KYRIANNA (Village) ARKADI

Byzantine church of Panagia

  In the centre of the village of Kirianna is the Byzantine church of the Panagia with cruciform architecture, a very large narthex in front on the same axis as the main aisle of the church, and has another extension on the side. The church has a large dome supported at the intersection of the aisles forming the cross. In front of the church there is a bell tower with three arches, unique in its beauty and detailed craftsmanship. In the church there is a piece of marble decorated with reliefs showing the life of Christ and the Saints.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


LABINI (Village) LAMBI

The Byzantine church of the Panagia Lambini

  Lambini contains the Byzantine church of the Panagia Lambini, which was built or renovated in early Venetian times. During the Byzantine era the bishopric of Lambis was probably here. The church has cruciform architecture with a dome supported by a drum and shorter side rooms so that the overall shape of the church is almost a rectangle. The dome is supported by a drum with blind arches, and these are also found on the sides of the church. The arches of the dome are agreeably decorated with bricks in the Byzantine style. The church also contains frescoes from the fourteenth century. In 1827 the Turks trapped Christians attending a mass within the church, killed the men, and sold the women and children in Rethimnon.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


In the village of Lampini and 27 km from Rethymno in the direction of the village of Spili, the Church of Panaghia is situated. The cruciform church is inscribed with a cupola and depicts frescoes of the 12th and 14th century. It was an Episcopal church, since the village of Lampini once accommodated the seat of the famous Episcopate of Lampis, which had existed since 431.


LABIOTES (Village) KOURITES

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  In Lambiotes is the Byzantine church of the Panagia which contains frescoes with a western influence. There is also a coat of arms on a tomb on the exterior wall of the church.


LAPPEI (Municipality) RETHYMNO

  The Municipality is dotted with Byzantine churches which are extremely interesting both from architectural and religious painting point of view. In Miriokefala there is the church Panaghia one of the oldest convents of Crete with murals from the periods. Other churches too of the nearby area are painted with murals.
  We also find many picturesque chapels such as the chapel St. John known also as Aghia Dinami, which is located in the cave where the river Mouselas has its source, the church of Jesus Christ in Arhondiki, St. George in Episkopi, St. Antony in Karoti, the Five Virgins in Argiroupoli etc.
This text (extract) is cited February 2004 from the Municipality of Lappes tourist pamphlet.


MERONAS (Village) SYVRITO

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  In the centre of the village of Meronas is the Byzantine church of the Panagia. The architecture of the church is distinctive because the dome is supported on the north side of the church. The three aisles of the church are unequal in length and of different ages. On the back walls of the church there are blind arches in each one of the three semicircles of the apses. Above the door is the coat-of-arms of Kalergis (an important Cretan family during the Venetian era). The doors and windows are elegantly carved, and a there is also a decorative melon carving. As well as some very distinctive frescoes the church also contains a fourteenth century icon of the Panagia.

This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Aghia Paraskevi in the Monastery of Asomatos

West of the Monastery of Asomatos the Church of Aghia Paraskevi, a cruciform church with a cupola, is situated, which was probably built during the 13th century and restored during either the 15th or the 16th century. At the north wall of the church a tomb with a vaulted apse can be found, in the interior of which two figures with raised hands are depicted. According to the inscription they represent the brothers Theodoros and Georgios Hortatzis


MOURNE (Village) LAMBI

Byzantine churches of Agia Marina & Agios Ioannis

  The church of Agia Marina is in a forested area and contains frescoes.


Byzantine church of the Panagia

  The church of the Panagia in Demblohori has attractive frescoes inside. On the north side of the church there is an inscription and the date 1417. The church has two aisles and a narthex which is a continuation of the north aisle but a bit wider. A very unusual stone arch, painted with frescoes, separates the narthex from the main church.


The Byzantine church of Panagia Kardiotissa

  The Byzantine church of the Panagia Kardiotissa of the monastery of Theotokou of Antifonitrias contains very well-preserved frescoes from the twelfth century. The church has cruciform architecture with a large dome on a drum, and a large narthex in front of the church. The narthex has blind arches and it is also painted.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Agios Ioannis and Agia Triada Church

  Just before entering the village, on the road, is the two-aisled Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis and Agia Triada. The two aisles are separated with arches with relief decorations in the form of melons. Externally, the church has very attractive door decorations and an inscription of 1645 on its bell tower. Inside there is a grave with an coat of arms, inscriptions and decorations.

This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Agii Apostoli Church

  In Petrohori (Aposeti) there is the Byzantine church of Agii Apostoli with some unusual frescoes and inscriptions of 1580 and 1594. There is an old fountain at the entrance to the village, opposite the church.


PLATANIA (Village) KOURITES

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  In Platania there is the Byzantine church of the Panagia which contains frescoes of good quality and which are in good condition. The church is in the square in the centre of the village.


PRASSIES (Village) RETHYMNO

Panagia Church

  The Byzantine church of the Panagia is in the village and contains the remains of frescoes from the fourteenth century.


Roman Catholic church

  The modern (1890) building of the Catholic church is at Odos Mesolongiou and Salaminas (Mass: 10:00 Sundays). This church was built to service the small Catholic population of Rethimnon and now the summer visitors. The building itself has an interesting facade with a large window above the door.


The Panagia Byzantine Church

  The church of the Panagia (Kimisis tis Theotokou) is very interesting. It is a two-aisled church in which it is obvious that the two aisles were constructed at different time periods. It has an unusual bell-tower which is dated 1627. The church also has a wooden altar screen and two layers of vividly coloured frescoes, the later one dating from 1381.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


This two-aisled church dedicated to the Holy Virgin and Christ the Saviour is situated at the place of Livadi in the village of Roustica, 21 km from Rethymno. The walls in the interior of the church are covered with frescoes dating back to 1381. The belfry shows the inscription of the year 1627.


SELI (Village) RETHYMNO

Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis Theologos

  The village of Seli contains the Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis Theologos. The church has frescoes in it in good condition and is inscribed with the date 1411.


SKOULOUFIA (Village) ARKADI

Agios Ioannis Church

  The church of Agios Ioannis is in the centre of the village and has an unusually- shaped window.


SPILI (Small town) LAMBI

Agios Georgios church

  The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios, a small but picturesque church, is in the school yard as you enter the village.


Byzantine church of the Panagia

  The Byzantine church of the Panagia is a large church which contains parts of an older church, including some frescoes on the north wall of the church.


THRONOS (Village) SYVRITO

The Panagia Church

  Sivritos was important during Byzantine times as well. The important Byzantine church of the Panagia dates from the fourteenth century and contains frescoes and mosaics. The frescoes were done in two different eras. The older era is in the front of the church behind the altar screen. There is also a graffito dated 1491 on the south wall. The floor of an older basilica, probably fourth century, extends outside the newer structure. The older church was probably the early bishopric of Sivritos. The decorations of the outside on the church show a Venetian influence.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Byzantine church of the Panagia

The village of Thronos in the district of Amari houses the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin, which dates back to the 14th century and was built on an early Christian basilica of the 6th century. Part of the mosaic floor of the latter has been uncovered. The walls of the church are ornamented with frescoes dating back to two periods.


Byzantine church of Agios Onoufrios

  The Byzantine church of Agios Onoufrios contains frescoes by Michael Venieris dated 1318 by inscription, is located near the main road below the village of Thronos.


TSACHIANA (Settlement) KOULOUKONA

Agia Marina Church

  Seen from the monastery (300 metres south towards Veni) is the small church of Agia Marina in which the coat of arms of the Kalergis (an important Cretan family during the Venetian era) can be seen on the portal. There is also a relief decoration of a melon above the entrance door. Inside, the church has arches and frescoes, some of which have been drawn on top of reliefs on the wall.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


VATHIAKO (Settlement) KOURITES

Byzantine church of Agios Georgios

  The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios is in the village of Vathiako. The early twelfth century frescoes in the church are in good condition.


VRYSSES (Village) SYVRITO

The Byzantine church of the Panagia in Smiles

  Below Vrises are the remains of the old village of Smiles. Among them you will see the Panagia church under a large plane tree (platanos). The church contains some frescoes.


Country churches

CHORDAKI (Settlement) SYVRITO

Byzantine church of the Panagia

  The church has exterior decorative rosettes, an interesting back window and there are some frescoes.


LABINI (Village) LAMBI

Byzantine church of Agios Georgios

  The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios contains frescoes of good quality, with expressive faces. The church is on the side of a hill on the right of the village.


Monasteries

AGIA IRINI (Settlement) RETHYMNON

  It is situated near the settlement of the same name a few kilometres south of the town of Rethymno in the direction of Roussospiti. This very old monastery is considered to date back to as early as the 14th century. However, at some point it was destroyed and henceforth remained entirely deserted. After restoration works were started in 1989, the monastery was given new life due to the eager activities of the nuns. Today the monastery also represents the heart of folklore traditions, which are protected and preserved by the nuns in the field of handicraft in general and of weaving and embroidering in particular, since it houses a permanent exhibition of needlework produced by the nuns themselves.

This text is cited Jan 2004 from the Tourism Promotion Committee of Rethymno Prefecture URL below, which contains image.


  The Agia Irini Monastery is located 6km south of the city of Rethimnon, on the Rethimnon - Agia Irini - Mili - Chromonastiri road. This Byzantine monastery had been active until the revolution of 1821, then badly damaged, it was abandoned. In 1970 restoration was started on the church and in 1989 the monastery was reocuppied by nuns. Extensive renovations have made Agia Irini a delightful place to visit, as the cloister as well as the refectory, stables, and wine press have been restored. The fortress-like monastery overlooks Rethimnon.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


AKOUMIA (Village) LAMBI

ANO MEROS (Village) SYVRITO

Monastery of Kaloeidaina

Tel: +30 28310 23653, 58842, Fax: +30 28310 58843

  On the south entrance to the village there is a dirt road left to Kaloidena Monastery and the Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos. The old monastery is in an enchanting location with tall trees, water, and an excellent view of Mount Psiloritis on the opposite side of the Amari Valley.

This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


ANOGIA (Small town) RETHYMNO

AXOS (Village) KOULOUKONA

Diskouri Monastery

  Diskouri Monastery is near Axos, Milopotamos, between the villages Livadia and Veni. It has not been in use since 1901. According to tradition, it was built at the time of the Emperor Konstantinos the Great in a location where there was an ancient temple of Dioskouri. The monastery was a centre of revolutionary activities against the Turks and was destroyed in 1821.
  Agios Ioannis Church:
The church of Agios Ioannis is in the monastery.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


BALI (Port) RETHYMNO

Agios Ioannis Prodromos Monastery

  In Bali there is the monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos. There is a sign to the monastery on the highway as you approach Bali from the west. The road takes you back onto the mountain behind the highway (south). From the monastery there are exceptional views of the coastline near Bali. The church of the monastery has two aisles and tradition says that there was a small Byzantine church which was incorporated into the present-day church. The north entrance has an inscription with the date 1635 and the church contains frescoes. The monastery has been renovated and the grounds landscaped giving the scene an extraordinarily well kept appearance. A fountain at the highest point of the monastery has very lovely decorations. Another fountain is on the kalderimi (path) behind the monastery that goes from the monastery to Melidoni. It can be reached from the gate behind the church in the monastery or from outside to the left. The fountain is less than 400 metres away.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Monastery of Bali

It is situated on a hill and offers a panoramic view on the bay and the coastal village of Bali, which is situated 37 km from Rethymno. It is also called Monastery of Atalis, a name, which the Venetians had given to the coastal village thus modifying the name of the ancient city of Astalis. Inscriptions testify that the monastery was built during the 17th century, which does not exclude that there had been a monastery there in earlier times. The church is dedicated to Aghios Ioannis. Its faηade shows distinct elements of the architecture of the Renaissance. Due to its position and abutting the Bay of Bali, the monastery played an important role during the revolution of 1821. Later it was deserted, and only as late as 1982 new life was breathed into it when it was restored.


Agios Ioannis Prodromos

The most important historical place in Bali is the monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos. The monastery has exceptional views of the coastline near Bali. The church of the monastery has two aisles and tradition says that there was a small Byzantine church which was incorporated into the present-day church. The north entrance has an inscription with the date 1635 and the church contains frescoes. A fountain at the highest point of the monastery has very lovely decorations. Another fountain is on the kalderimi (path) behind the monastery that goes from the monastery to Melidoni It can be reached from the gate behind the church in the monastery or from outside to the left. The fountain is less than 400 metres away.


Basilica of Viran Episkopi

Tel: +30 28310 23653, 58842, Fax: +30 28310 58843

Monastery of Atali

Tel: +30 28340 94274

Monastery of Chalevi

It is situated near the village of Chromonastiri 12 km from Rethymno. The large, single-aisled church is dedicated to the Holy Virgin. The year 1864 is carved into the lintel. However, the monastery must have existed as early as the 16th or 17th century. Except for the church all other buildings are dilapidated and of course the monastery is deserted. Since 1991 it has been annexed to the monastery of Aghia Irini.


DOXARO (Village) KOULOUKONA

Monastery of Vossakos

Tel: +30 28340 61884

Lower Preveli Monastery

  To the west of the river Kourtaliotiko stands the deserted Lower Preveli Monastery. Its main church is dedicated to Agios Ioannis Prodromos (1594) and the monastery presents an interesting sight against the backdrop of the mountains.


KISSOS (Village) LAMBI

Monastery of Assomati at Amari

Tel: +30 28310 23653, 58842, Fax: +30 28310 58843

  The Byzantine Assomaton Monastery in the Amari Valley, beside the village of Agia Paraskevi, probably dates from the first Byzantine period, even though most references to it allude to the thirteenth century. The church of the monastery is Michael Archangelos, built on top of an older Byzantine church. The monastery has a long history of support for the Cretan fight for freedom and for education. As a result the monastery was plundered and destroyed many times during the Turkish occupation but it only fell completely in the earthquake of 1810. The dates 1692-1847 are inscribed on the south entrance. It now houses an Agricultural School. The many relics of the monastery's rich past are preserved in the Historical Museum of Iraklion.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Arsaniou Monastery

Tel: +30 28310 71228

The Monastery of Arsani is situated 12 km east of Rethymno. Apparently a monk called Arsenios founded it during the period of Venetian occupation, and the monastery was named after him. According to another opinion the name is derived from a woman called Arsinoe, who contributed her possessions to the building of the monastery. The cruciform, domed church as it appears today was built in 1888 and is dedicated to Aghios Georgios. The church of present day was built on the remains of an older one, which had been consecrated in 1600. The monastery was restored in 1970, whilst the nave was ornamented with frescoes in approximately 1988/90. The monastery boasts a museum and a congress centre.

This text is cited Jan 2004 from the Tourism Promotion Committee of Rethymno Prefecture URL below, which contains image.


Monastery of Preveli

Tel: +30 28320 41444, 31246

Monastery of Preveli

  It is a stauropegian monastery founded probably in the 16th century. It played an important part during the Cretan revolutions and particularly during the revolution of 1866, when the rebels took refuge there. It was an extremely wealthy monastery with a large real estate property. In 1831, the first Greek School was founded there.
  The Katholicon is a two-aisled church dedicated to St John the Theologian and the Annunciation of the Virgin. It was built in 1836 but has been repaired many times during the following years.
  Inside the monastery, there are cells, the old abbot' s quarters that was transformed to a guest-house, the new abbot' s quarters of 1900 as well as a library.
  The restoration and consolidation works were carried out by the 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.


  The Monastery of Preveli is situated 37 km from Rethymno and includes two monasteries, which are 3 km apart: The "Lower Monastery", which is deserted and the "Back Monastery", which is still run and can be visited. According to tradition the name of the monastery, which has been sanctioned after the 17th century, is either derived from an inhabitant of the village of Preveliana in the prefecture of Heraklio, who, after having committed a murder, found shelter in this area, or it is derived from one of the restorers of the monastery.
  Towering above the central precinct is the two-aisled church of Aghios Ioannis the Theologist and of the Annunciation. To the West and to the South of the church the cells and the abbot's quarters are situated. The church was built during recent years on the remains of an older Byzantine church. The fountain with the inscription of the foundation year of 1701 is situated on a lower level, as is the Museum of the Monastery, which displays vestments, church utensils, icons etc.
  During the Turkish occupation the monastery played a significant social and charitable role since it owned various pieces of land, which Christians had donated in order to save them from the grasp of the conquerors. Even a school had been operating inside the monastery, and during the Cretan revolution in 1866 a large number of partisans was given shelter. In 1867 the monastery was completely destroyed by the Turks, and in 1897 it was re-built.

This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Tourism Promotion Committee of Rethymno Prefecture URL below, which contains images.


Upper Preveli Monastery

  Preveli Monastery, located in a picturesque is setting best seen from the approaching road. The Upper Preveli Monastery dates from the sixteenth or seventeenth century. The Venetians built the double-aisle basilica dedicated to Agios Ioannis the Theologian. The Turks destroyed the church in 1867 and it was restored by monks in 1911. Due to its strategic location the monastery was a base during the struggles for independence. Rebel ships landed there during the revolution of 1866 and the monastery was a drop-off point for ships delivering guns to the freedom fighters. In 1867 it was destroyed by the Turks. It is also famous for its role in the evacuation of Allied troops after the Battle of Crete in the Second World War, an event commemorated by a plaque in the courtyard. The monastery houses a gold cross containing a piece of the True Cross and precious stones. There is also a museum containing books, religious vestments, property registers and other relics.

This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


  Near the village is the monastery of Profitis Ilias. The monastery includes the Byzantine church of Profitis Ilias, Agia Triada, and Agia Zoni. The church is a three-aisled basilica with a dome on a drum. It has a bell tower with two bells with inscriptions dated 1637. The monastery had been a centre of support for the revolutions against the Turks and it was destroyed by the Turks in 1821.

This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


TSACHIANA (Settlement) KOULOUKONA

Monastery of Chalepa at Mylopotamos

Tel: +30 28310 22415, Fax: +30 28310 22411

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.