Sivritos was important during Byzantine times as well. The important
Byzantine church of the Panagia dates from the fourteenth century and contains
frescoes and mosaics. The frescoes were done in two different eras. The older
era is in the front of the church behind the altar screen. There is also a graffito
dated 1491 on the south wall. The floor of an older basilica, probably fourth
century, extends outside the newer structure. The older church was probably the
early bishopric of Sivritos. The decorations of the outside on the church show
a Venetian influence.
This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
The village of Thronos in the district of Amari houses the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin, which dates back to the 14th century and was built on an early Christian basilica of the 6th century. Part of the mosaic floor of the latter has been uncovered. The walls of the church are ornamented with frescoes dating back to two periods.