Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.
with two conched chapels, the south dedicated to St. Gregory and the north to
St. John Chrysostomos. The walls are lavishly decorated on the outside with patterns
in brick and tile. Two glazed clay icons were preserved on the pediment of the
east side; the first depicts the three Hierarchs and the second the Crucifixion.
They are exhibited now in the Byzantine Museum of Ioannina. The interior is decorated
with wall paintings dated to the 17th century.
The church is located in the old quarter of the Tourkopazaro, in Arta. It was built at the end of the 14th century A.D. During the 17th century, the "Greek School" of the scholar Castorianos Manolakis was established in its precinct. The first scholars to mention the church of St. Bazil in modern times are the Russian archimandrite Antoninos in 1886 and the metropolitan bishop Serapheim in 1884.
In 1979 the frescoes were cleaned and restored, in 1980 the roof was repaired and the masonry was consolidated. In 1991 the roof was reconstructed, and in 1994 the electrical installation was completed. Today the monument is used as a church but liturgy takes place only on the day of its patron saint.
This text is cited July 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
It is a small church built in 1770.
Tel: +30 26810 27533
Fax: +30 26810 28610
CHRYSSOVITSA (Small town) IOANNINA
Tel: +30 26560 22312
To the west of Metsovo, at an altitude of approximately 1000 m., lies the village Chrysovitsa named after the historic church of Panagia Chrysovitsa. The current parish church used to be the katholikon of a monastery that according to tradition was established on the site where the portable icon of Panagia was miraculously found. Two inscriptions on the interior walls of the church indicate that the monastery was founded within the 13th century.
In its heyday, this was the richest monastery of the region. Today only the katholikon is preserved, dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos (Assumption of the Virgin Mary). The three-aisled basilica with the attached portico resting on four square pillars and the roof of dark schist slabs is a characteristic example of the basilica type of Epirus that flourished in the 18th century. The only absolute chronology established for the whole complex is the year 1781, to which date the wall-paintings of the katholikon. These were made by Ioannis and Georgios, sons of Athanassios, renowned painters from Kapesovo, an area which nourished an important tradition in religious painting from the early 18th to the mid-19th centuries. Visitors’ attention will also attract the wood-carved iconostasis and bishop’s throne of the katholikon.
Apart from the church of Panagia, other preserved features of the original monastic form are a few monk cells, fully restored today, one of the main gates to the monastery with its heavy oak door and the walls surrounding the whole complex, indicating that this was once a fort-like monastery.
FILIPPIADA (Small town) PREVEZA
The holy temple of Agios Athanassios, in Filippiada was built and decorated by frescoes in the middle of the 18th century (about 1740-1756), according to and inscription over the south entrance of the church. The frescoes of this church are of a special interest. The gate-tower of the cemetery was built in 1847 and the gate-tower of the belfry in 1866. Another temple of great interest in Filippiada is the temple of Agios Vissarion, which was built in 1861-62. The most impressive part of this church is made of stone, ornate belfry, which was built in 1912-13 by a craftsman from Pramanta.
(text: LAZAROS SINESIOS)
This text (extract) is cited July 2003 from the Prefecture of Preveza tourist pamphlet.
GIROMERI (Village) FILIATES
The Katholikon, namely the central church of the Monastery was gradually built. It is a church of small dimensions and is constructed of four cross-shaped columns with a domed roof. Possibly, it was at first a single-nave church, while its present form, namely the four parts of it, is a result of renovations at different times.
Chronologically talking, we only know about the construction of the Main Church, which was in 1568 after a donation from the Sovereign of Hungrovlachia (Hungary-Romania), Oxiotis of Pogoniani. The external Narthex, is considered to be constructed at the same time, while the Nave and the internal Narthex are earlier constructions, parts of the first church, possibly from the 14th century. Externally, it is ornamented with plain ceramic designs mainly on the dome and on the southern and western sides. Internally, it is of great interest as it is decorated with hagiographic ornamentation from the 16th century.
The second layer of the frescos (1679) is of popular style of that age, while the first one (1568-1590) is of Byzantine technique and has the unique particular characteristic - among the monuments of Ipiros - to combine the Western Europe Art with that of the Cretan School and the School of Western Greece. Unfortunately, the inspired artist is unknown. The Templo (rood screen) of the Katholikon is worth mentioning, a wooden sculpture constructed in 1824 and gold plated in 1829.
The icons of the temple were made in 1824 and are works of Dimitrios Papadiamantis from Zagori. The icon of Blessed Virgin Mary Odigitria is set in a separate wooden sculptured icon stand, which was constructed at the same time as the temple. It is the oldest icon in the Monastery made between the 12th and the 14th century. It is a two-side icon, which depicts Holy Virgin Mary of the type Odigitria named OPHXHOTICCA (Orihiotissa), on one side, whereas, on the other side, are the most eminent Apostles Peter and Paul.
Tel: +30 26660 71236
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!