gtp logo

Location information

Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "MONI GENISSIS THEOTOKOU Monastery ARTA" .

Places of worship (2)


Monastery of Kato Panagia

Tel: +30 26810 27660, 24829
  The church is a three-aisled basilica with a transverse barrel-vault. The east side ends in three semi-hexagonal apses while a narthex was later added to the west. The walls are adorned on the outside with a great variety of brick and tile decoration, including an inscription inset in a brick. The interior is richly decorated with wall paintings dated to the 18th century.
  The monastery was built in the 13th century, by Michael Doukas Comnenos, the Despot of Epiros. In the period of the Turkish occupation it was renamed to "Panagia tis Vryseos" (Holy Virgin of the spring), because it was located near a spring. In the sigillium of Patriarch Jeremian II (1591) it is mentioned that the Paregoritissa Monastery became the metochion (dependence) of the Monastery of Kato Panaghia.
  The roof and the windows of the north and south sides were reconstructed in 1969. The restoration of the wall paintings began in 1994, and in 1995 the roof was replaced and the wall masonry was consolidated. The restoration work is still in progress. The monument is now used as a convent for nuns.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures