gtp logo

Location information

Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "KYPSELI Village PREVEZA" .

Places of worship (3)


Monastery of St. Demetrios

  The monastery lies near the bank of the river Kokytos, by the modern village of Kypseli. The catholicon, which is preserved in a good condition, is a three-aisled basilica with a transverse barrel-vault. On the three sides of the naos (except for the east), several structures have been added: a narthex to the west, tripartite chambers to the north and south. The walls are built of stone blocks enclosed by bricks, and are decorated with brick and tile patterns, especially in the apse. As for the other structures of the monastery, the refectory (Trapeza) is preserved in a fairly good condition.
  The catholicon (main church) was built by the Despote of Epirus, Michael II Doukas, in 1242, as attested by an inscription carved on a brick, on the tympanon of the south window of the transverse vault. A little later, the side chapels (parecclesia) were added, and even later, at the end of the 13th century, the narthex was erected.
  The refectory (Trapeza) of the monastery, which has now been converted into a church dedicated to St. George, is roughly contemporary with the catholicon. The wall paintings of the catholicon date to the 17th-18th century. The destroyed tiles of the roof were replaced in 1969 and again, in 1973-74. In 1973 consolidation of the masonry was carried out and the paved floor of the catholicon was reconstructed.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures