Tel: +30 22330 51292-3
At the north East End of this town, and at a distance of one kilometer lies, deeply fixed in time (11th century), the Byzantine Holy Monastery of Agios Georgios. Up to 1599 the Temple was dedicated to Iperagia Theotoko (Mother of God). Today, only the Catholic Monastery remains in existence after the earthquakes, as well as some of its auxiliary buildings (Vordonaria, Fotanama, etc). At this landscape, the new Monastery was built. The Holy Temple is of stone, of Byzantine style and round the forecourt are built the cells and its auxiliary rooms.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Community of Malessina tourist pamphlet (1996).
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!