Places of worship ANAFONITRIA (Village) ZAKYNTHOS - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for destination: "ANAFONITRIA Village ZAKYNTHOS".


Places of worship (4)

Monasteries

Monastery of Theotokos "Anaphonetria"

The Anaphonetria Monastery with its typical tower is located in the Plemonario area, in the northwest side of Zakynthos Island.

It was, probably, established on 15th century by Leonard Tokkios the 3rd, Count of Cephallonia & Zakytnhos Palazzo and the wife of Lappas.

The miraculous icon of Panagia Anaphonetria, is originated by Byzantium, which "came" in the island in a miraculousness way after the Fall of Kontstantinoupoli (Istanbul) in 1453.

Today the monastery operates as church of the omonymous nearby village, the tower is used as bellfry, and is also pilgrimage place, due to the connection with the "Saint of Apology" Dionysio.

The text is cited fromHoly Diocese of Zakynthos website, where there are all the relevant information.

Monastery of Theotokos "Anaphonetria"

The Monastery of Anafonitria from which the nearby village takes its name, built in 14th century. This is where St Dionysios, patron saint of the island, spend the last years of his life.

Anafonitria Monastery

The Monastery of Yperagathos

The Monastery of Yperagathos (belongs to Sina), next to a pine and oak wood, at a short distance from the Anafonitria village.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions