EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 36 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "SERRES Prefecture GREECE" .


Places of worship (36)

Churches

Megalon Taxiarchon church

This church is a three-aisled basilica.


ELEONAS (Village) SERRES

Church of Saint Nicholas

  The church is located at Elaionas of Serres and belongs to the cross-in-square type. It is dated to the 12th century but the narthex was built much later, in 1851.
  The monument has always faced stability problems but its condition was worsened by the earthquakes of 1985. Cracks appeared on the walls and the columns were moved off their vertical axis. In 1986 the church was supported and in 1990 a study for its provisional restoration was approved.
  In 1990-91, work that took place (investigation of the transformations, the removal of wall-plaster, cement injections, placement of a metal framework to support the weight of the superstructure thus relieving the marble columns) secured its stability and allowed its function again. Work also led to the revealing of important Byzantine wall-paintings, under a more recent layer of murals dated to the 19th century. In the future, it is planned to remove the upper layer of wall-paintings and conduct additional work with the repairing of the crumbling parts of the walls.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Main church (katholikon) - Wall paintings

  The wall paintings of the main church (katholikon) have been painted by different hagiographers. The oldest among them are those carried out during the prior ship of the second proprietor, Ioakem (1300-1333), and are distinguished by their expressiveness, their realism and their passivity that also characterize contemporary wall paintings preserved in Thessaloniki, the Holy Mount and Macedonia. From those fresco murals today are preserved only a few samples. The nave does not preserve any part of the initial decoration. The latest decoration dates from 1803. the carved wooden iconostasis, of walnut wood, dates from 1804 and being among the most noteworthy it excites the admiration of the visitors.
This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


Chapels of the Monastery

  1. Chapel of St. Nikolas
  2. Chapel of St. Spiridonas and St. John the proprietor
  3. Chapel of St. John Prodromos or "Prodromoudi"
  4. Chapel of Taxiarches (archangels)
  5. Chapel of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
  Those chapels are situated inside the precinct of the Monastery. The oldest among them is the "Prodromoudi" dating from the 12th century and feasting on the birthday of St. John Prodromos. Many secondary constructions (aqueducts, bridges, guest rooms) have been erected outside the precinct of the Monastery and 6 chapels that still preserve famous wall paintings. The most outstanding among them is the chapel of the Dormition of the Virgin that constitutes the cemetery church of the Monastery.
This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


Old Metropolis - Agii Theodori church

  Three-aisled wooden-roofed basilica with a narthex. Its architectural type presents many archaic features. The holy bema was decorated with mosaics of which is preserved only a representation of Apostle Andrew (now in the Archaeological Museum of Serres).
  The church is dated to the 11th century and was probably built at the site of an Early Christian basilica. Additions were made in the 12th and 13th centuries.
  It was renovated several times: in 1430 by metropolitan Philip, in 1602 by metropolitan Theophanes, in 1700 by metropolitan Anthimos, in 1725 by metropolitan Stephen, in 1735 by metropolitan Gabriel, in 1751 by metropolitan Ioannikios, in 1835 and 1842. It was destroyed by fire twice, in 1849 and in 1913. Today the church functions again.


Old Metropolis - Agii Theodori church

  In the center of the old town and below street level, there is the brilliant old cathedral of St. Theodore's, a big rectangular Royal (Bassilica). It was first founded during the palaiochristian era. According to another tradition, it was built on the remains of an ancient church. The cathedral was built in 1224 AD by the Sovereign Ruler of Epirus, Theodore Angel Komninos in memory of the glorious victory against the Franks, just outside the city.
  The first reference to the Old Cathedral was made in a golden bull of Adronikos the Senior in 1321 AD. It is described in detail by the orator Theodore Pediasimos, a native of Serres, in his brilliant essay "expressions about the sanctum of Feres (i.e. Serres)" (14th century). At the northwest side there is a burial chapel, probably built in 1364 for Patriarch Kallistos. A plinth sign on the southern side of the church wall states the following: "ΕΝ ΕΤΕΙ ΕΨΚΕ + Ο ΤΑΠΕΙΝΟΣ ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟΛΙΤΗΣ ΣΕΡΡΩΝ ΣΤΕΦΑΝΟΣ Ο ΚΤΙΤΩΡ", testifying that the wall was demolished and rebuilt in 1725.
  St. Theodores' church is well-known for its mosaics, from which after the fire of 1913 the only one that was rescued was the one that shows Apostle Andreas and the hands of Apostle Loukas. In the apse is a huge mosaic of the Last Supper, still splendid in its decay. This historical church has been repaired and renovated during the years, which has resulted in a slight transformation of its original shape. During the great fire of 1913 the church got almost completely burned. It was restored recently under the watchful eye of the Archaeological Authorities and church services are now held there.

This text is cited Jan 2004 from the University of Patras' The ARCADIA website URL below, which contains images.


Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos

At the N.E. end of the castle there is the exquisite Byzantine church of St Nikolaos, which was restored and renewed in 1937. Until 1926 many mural remnants and jewel remnants were kept in the inside of the church with the usual technique and topics of the Palaeologi period. In the east side of the church, under the bilobed window of the apse there is the entrance to a crypt, in which you can get to via a small staircase. This crypt served the purpose of a cemetery, in other words it was a place were the guards of the castle were buried after they were murdered or had died in it from a disease or any other cause. The cemetery character of the crypt of St. Nikolaos is reinforced by the few graves' remnants and people's bones that were found in it.

This text is cited Jan 2004 from the University of Patras' The ARCADIA website URL below, which contains image.


    SIDIROKASTRO (Municipality) SERRES


    Country churches

    CHIONOCHORI (Settlement) SERRES

    Chapel of Agii Anargyri

    Chionohori is positioned on the steep slope of Menikio mountain. It' s a real ark, where an original part of our byzantine tradition is kept with great respect. That is the byzantine country church, carved on a rock, where the visitor a experience a real atmosphere of the first centuries of monastic life. According to historical tradition, Joannikios, the founder of the holy nunnery of John the Baptist and his nephew Joakim, took shelter in this country church. However, the damp climate started to damage the health of this great ascetic, so he had to move to the other side of Menikio mountain, where he founded the wonderful Nunnery of John the Baptist.


    Soter chapel


    Monasteries

    Monastery of the Prophet Elias

    Tel: +30 23210 91360

      To the north of the village of Aghio Pnevma and facing the Holy Cross Monastery high up on a pine wooded hill, stands the Prophet Elijah Holy Monastery. The first temple was built in 1900 but over the time it was destroyed. Today's Katholikon is built according to the techniques used at Athos, while only two walls of the original are preserved.
      In 1990 a group of Nuns endeavored to found an organized Women’s Monastery restoring the ruins and building new edifices, that resulted in its present form. Today the Monastery houses 18 Nuns who deal with gold embroidered handicrafts, hagiography etc.). For the moment there is no possibility fro organized tourist groups to spend the night. The Chapel of Blessed Virgin Myrtidiotissa houses the miracle-working icon of Our Lady.
      Administratively, together with the Our Lady Visiani and Holy Cross Monasteries, the Monastery belongs to the Holy Metropolis of Serres. Its feast day is on 20 July to commemorate Prophet Elijah (important festivities) and on 24 September to commemorate Our Lady Myrtidiotissa.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


    Monastery Ypsossis Timiou Stavrou

    Tel: +30 23210 91353

      At the village Aghio Pnevma, some fifteen km form the city of Serres at the foothill of Mount Menoikion, stands the Holy Cross Holy Monastery. The Monastery is built on the higher slope of a hill, with a panoramic view over the valley and the city of Serres, in a pine wooded area.
      Since 1964 proprietors of the Monastery, under the form of a Chapel, are the inhabitants of the village. The Monastery had no Nuns till the year 1985 but today (1997) it houses three Nuns who with personal efforts have succeeded in giving the Monastery its present form (Katholikon i.e. main church, Archontariki i.e. reception room, handicraft exhibition, guest houses, cells). The Monastery can accommodate up to 10-12 persons. The Hagiographies are all modern except four icons that date back 100 years. A holy choral service takes place every Sunday. The feast day of the Monastery is on 14 September to commemorate the Raising of the Holy Cross.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


    Monastery of Timios Prodromos


    Monastery of Timios Prodromos at Akritochori

    Tel: +30 23230 71310

      The Timios Prodormos Hermitage was built in 1981 on the architectural model of Xenophontos Abbey of Athos, at a distance of 24 km from Sidirokastro and 50 km from Serres, at the upper side of the village Acritochori, at the foothill of Mount Kerkini (Belles).
      The Hermitage is built on the international walking path 54/6 and has a panoramic view over Lake Kerkini. It falls under the Holy Metropolis of Sidirokastro and today (1997) there live 40 Nuns, dealing with hagiography, sacerdotal needlecraft, traditional weaving and gold embroidered pieces. The feast day of the Monastery is on 29 August.
      The visit to the Hermitage of Timios Prodromos can be combined with a visit to the internationally known wetland of Lake Kerkini and to the endless natural beauties of the surroundings of the village A. Porroia.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


    ALISTRATI (Small town) SERRES

    Monastery of St. Kyriaki at Alistrati

    Tel: +30 23240 31499

      On the road from Serres to Drama, at 2 km before the village Alsitrati, emerges through the thick vegetation the St. Kiriaki Holy Monastery, considered to be among the oldest ones together with the Blessed Virgin Mary Ikosifinissa Holy Monastery. Very often devastated by the Turks it preserves only the main gate.
      Its reconstruction started in 1956, the date on which the today’s (1997) Superior was settled here. Initially the Monastery was a monks’ Abbey and during the year 1906 it housed 95 monks.
      There is no guest house and today it houses 2 Nuns. The feast day of the Monastery is on 7 July to commemorate Great Martyr Kiriaki.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


    DOMIROS (Village) SERRES

    Monastery of St. Paraskevi at Domiros

    Tel: +30 23240 71362

      The St. Paraskevi Holy Monastery stands to the south of the department of Serres, some 2 km from the village Domiros and 5 km from the foothill of Pangeo Mountain.
      The exact date of the foundation of the Monastery is still unknown. However, it is still considered among the oldest Monasteries of our country.
      According to one version and given that the printed books and the codex of the Monastery have been destroyed by various invaders, the Monastery is considered to be a former metochi (dependency) of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ikosifinissa Monastery. Furthermore, the Monastery is closely related with the Center of monastic life, the Holy Mount. According to a diary of the Iviron Abbey, the ruler of Serbia, Stephen Dushan confirmed the Monastery to the Iviron Abbey in 1345.
      Until the year 1924 the Monastery was often devastated by various invaders. Until then the Monastery was inhabited only by monks.
      In 1924 with the uprooting of the communities of Pontus (the region of northeastern Anatolia, bording on the Black Sea), 6 Nuns from the St. John Prodromos Monastery situated at Imavra in Pontus, joined the Monastery. At this time the Monastery was completely derelict. The only thing remaining was the church and some icons. The Nuns transferred to their new home anything they could from the heirlooms of St. John Prodromos Monastery (the majority of the icons of the iconostasis, liturgical objects, Gospels, Holy Relics etc.).
      Afterwards, the Monastery started to be rebuilt. Its present form (1997) is due to the superhuman efforts of the Superior, who since 1988 has transformed the Monastery into a real worksite. It is the first women’s Monastery in Macedonia. Today it houses 11 Nuns occupied with hagiography, needlework etc. The guest house of the Monastery can accommodate organized tourist groups. The feast day of the Monastery is on 26 July to commemorate Saint Martyr Paraskevi.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.




    EFKARPIA (Village) SERRES

    Monastery of Taxiarches Michael

    This Monastery is found in the locality of Kastri.


    FEA PETRA (Village) SERRES

    LEFKONAS (Small town) SERRES

    Monastery of the Virgin at Vyssiani

    Tel: +30 23210 62502

      Ten km north to the city of Serres and 2 km from the settlement of Metochi in deep ravine stands the women’s Holy Monastery of Blessed Virgin Mary Visianis. It was founded in 1972 on the initiative of faithful citizens of Serres. After long efforts it reached its present form (Katholikon, Chapel, Refectory, handicraft exhibition).
      The Holy Water that for years dried up, after a miracle of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 14.08.1996 started to spring forth ceaselessly and it continues to do so.
      Today (1997) the Monastery houses two Nuns. The guest house does not suffice to accommodate organized tourist groups. The feast day of the Monastery is on 15 August.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


    Agios Georgios church

    This church is a domed-basilica.


    Monastery of Icosifinissa

    An imposing monastery on Mount Pangeon with 150 cells and wide courtyards. It is religious and national center, unique for its rare icons and the precious donations. Starting from here their wandering its monks succeeded to preserve the Greek spirit and the Christian religion in difficult ages. Nowadays it is a nunnery.


    Monastery of Timios Prodromos

    Tel: +30 23210 71189

      The Monastery of Timios Prodromos is located 12 km. NE of Serres, in the bottom of a ravine on Mt Menoikion. The catholicon (main church) was built in the 14th century and belongs to the single-aisled domed type with lite, narthex, exonarthex and an oblong roofed portico on the south side (Makrynariki). On the north side are two chapels and the belfry. The rest of the buildings are organized around the catholicon: cells, abbot's quarters, school, refectory, library, hostel. The wall paintings of the catholicon were executed in 1300-1333 and were continued in several periods, by various artists.
      The monastery was founded in 1275-1278 by monk Ioannikios from Serres and a few years later it was renovated by his nephew, Ioakeim, bishop of Zichne. It soon developed to an important monastic centre with great financial prosperity, because it was favoured by the Byzantine emperors. Patriarch George Scholarios (Gennadios) died here and was buried in the catholicon.
      The monastery, still functioning today, acquired its final form with the addition of many buildings during the Turkish occupation.
      In the years between 1972 and 1986 the roofs of several buildings were repaired. Since 1986 restoration has been carried out at the cells of the east wing and at the north wing.


    Monastery of Timios Prodromos

    The Holy Nunnery of John the Baptist is 9 km east of the city of Serres, in a ravine of Menikio mountain, surrounded by a picturesque and pious setting, where the soul is truly distracted from every prosy concern and rised to eternity. There you can experience the piece of sight and the poetry of biblical tranquillity. You can experience an intact part of the Byzantine world, devoted to John the Baptist. The Nunnery is surrounded by an atmosphere of eternity and real charm. The Nunnery was built in 1270 a.c. by Ioannikios, who served as Bishop of Ezeve (Dafni). Afterwards, his nephew, Joakem, Metropolite of Zihni, during the year 1300 surrounded the Nunnery with high, solid walls and endowed it with royal donations (monastery dependency and land).
    In 1345 A.C. the land belonging to the Nunnery was almost destroyed by the invasion of the Serbs. Only due to Hellen, wife of the Serbian Krali Stefanos Dousan, the land wasn't completely destroyed. During the Turkish domination the Nunnery had the great honour of welcoming the first Patriarch Gennadios Shcolarios after the fall of Constantinople. According to history, Gennadios was a Patriarch for 3 years, from 1453 to 1457 and then he resigned and came to the Nunnery. In 1462 he was invited to the Patriarchal throne for the second time, which lasted only for one year. In 1464 he returned to the Patriarchal throne for the third time, but he was replaced by Joasaph the 1st, not having even completed one yea and as a result he returned to the Nunnery, where he died in 1472.
    According to tradition, Gennadios' grave was in the middle part of the catholic church of the Nunnery, close to the graves of the Founders. The removal of his relics took place in May 1854 and now are placed in a box. Close to the grave there is a marble sign, engraved with an honorable epigram by the poet Helias Tantalidis, which was sent by the Patriarchate of Constantinople, at the time of the removal of the wise Patriarch's relics.
    The Nunnery has been the center of an uninterrupted painting movement. There are icons of the 14th century, some of the most interesting in our country and also beautiful wall paintings from the year 1630. There is also a wonderful icon screen made out of walnut wood and very artistically engraved in 1804. In the square ancient tower of the Nunnery, that was converted into a Library, there were 100 handwritten volumes in vellum, 200 handwritten volumes in paper, 1500 volumes of different kinds of books, 4 golden bulls of Byzantine Emperors, in vellum, 5 patriarchic sigils, 4 old codes and many other religious articles that were stolen by the Bulgarians during 1913 and 1917.


    PROTI (Small town) SERRES

    Monastery of the Ascension of Christ at Proti

    Tel: +30 23240 61249

      The Ascension Holy Monastery stands at 7 km from the village of Proti, at an altitude of 930 m on Pangeo Mountain, offering a panoramic view over the valley of Serres.
      Former metochi (dependency) of the Holy Monastery of Blessed Virgin Mary Ikosifinissa, it was reestablished in 1979 at the same location where in the 18th century stood the monks’ Monastery of the same name.
      The Monastery contributed a lot to the Christians of the region and that resulted in repeated devastation by the Turk and the Bulgarian invaders, the most severe having occurred in the years 1913, 1917 and 1944.
      The Katholikon (main church) of the Monastery is a rare cruciform Rotunda built according to the form of the Holy Ascension Monastery situated at the Mount of Olives in the Holy Land. The Monastery preserves the holy relics of the Saints I. Chrisostomos, Arsenios the Capadokos etc.
      In the Monastery there is a guest house operating exclusively for groups of tourists. Today (1997) the Monastery houses 20 Nuns occupied with hagiography, sacerdotal needlecraft, gold embroidered pieces, pyrography and ceroplasty.
      The feast day of the Monastery is the day of the Ascension, 40 days after Easter.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.


    The monastery of Timios Prodromos

      The most important monastery of the region of Serrhai was founded in the 13th century in a gorge of Mount Menoikion, not far from the city of Serrhai. It was laid out following the plan of most Athonite monasteries, i.e. it had encircling walls to which other structures were later added, a sturdy square tower, chapels, and a katholikon with 14th century wall-paintings.
      As the spiritual centre of Hellenism in eastern Macedonia, during the Balkan wars the monastery of Timios Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) provoked the fury of the Bulgarians, who took pains to strip it of its historic treasures. Greek historical documents and in particular the monastic library were carried off to Sofia in their entirety in 1912. The quest for these invaluable sources of Macedonian history has since occupied, as it continues to occupy, much scholarly research.

    By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
    This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains images.


    Monastery of St. Kirykos & Ioulitis

    Tel: +30 23230 22395, 22993

      The holy Monastery of Saints Kirikos and Iouliti is built up on a hill, to the northeast of Sidirokastro. It was founded in 1968 by the most venerable Bishop of Sidirokastro, Ioannis, when he first arrived from Samos to the Holy Metropolis of Sidirokastro.
      It is a cenobitic Monastery that today (1997) houses 40 Nuns occupied with knitted goods, gold embroidered pieces and hagiography while at the same time they are exclusively responsible fro the care of the Orphanage for girls of Sidirokastro and the Nursing Home of the Holy Metropolis of Sidirokastro.
      The feast day of Monastery is on 15 July to commemorate the Saints Kirikos and Iouliti.
    This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.



    TOUBA (Village) SERRES

    Monastery of Agia Trias at Toumba

    Tel: +30 23210 71668

    You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

    Ferry Departures
    From

    Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.