Places of worship SERRES (Town) MAKEDONIA CENTRAL - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 11 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "SERRES Town MAKEDONIA CENTRAL" .


Places of worship (11)

Churches

Church of Saint Nicholas

ELEONAS (Village) SERRES
  The church is located at Elaionas of Serres and belongs to the cross-in-square type. It is dated to the 12th century but the narthex was built much later, in 1851.
  The monument has always faced stability problems but its condition was worsened by the earthquakes of 1985. Cracks appeared on the walls and the columns were moved off their vertical axis. In 1986 the church was supported and in 1990 a study for its provisional restoration was approved.
  In 1990-91, work that took place (investigation of the transformations, the removal of wall-plaster, cement injections, placement of a metal framework to support the weight of the superstructure thus relieving the marble columns) secured its stability and allowed its function again. Work also led to the revealing of important Byzantine wall-paintings, under a more recent layer of murals dated to the 19th century. In the future, it is planned to remove the upper layer of wall-paintings and conduct additional work with the repairing of the crumbling parts of the walls.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Main church (katholikon) - Wall paintings

MONI TIMIOU PRODROMOU SERON (Monastery) SERRES
  The wall paintings of the main church (katholikon) have been painted by different hagiographers. The oldest among them are those carried out during the prior ship of the second proprietor, Ioakem (1300-1333), and are distinguished by their expressiveness, their realism and their passivity that also characterize contemporary wall paintings preserved in Thessaloniki, the Holy Mount and Macedonia. From those fresco murals today are preserved only a few samples. The nave does not preserve any part of the initial decoration. The latest decoration dates from 1803. the carved wooden iconostasis, of walnut wood, dates from 1804 and being among the most noteworthy it excites the admiration of the visitors.
This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.

Chapels of the Monastery

  1. Chapel of St. Nikolas
  2. Chapel of St. Spiridonas and St. John the proprietor
  3. Chapel of St. John Prodromos or "Prodromoudi"
  4. Chapel of Taxiarches (archangels)
  5. Chapel of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
  Those chapels are situated inside the precinct of the Monastery. The oldest among them is the "Prodromoudi" dating from the 12th century and feasting on the birthday of St. John Prodromos. Many secondary constructions (aqueducts, bridges, guest rooms) have been erected outside the precinct of the Monastery and 6 chapels that still preserve famous wall paintings. The most outstanding among them is the chapel of the Dormition of the Virgin that constitutes the cemetery church of the Monastery.
This text (extract) is cited September 2003 from the Prefecture of Serres tourist pamphlet.

Old Metropolis - Agii Theodori church

SERRES (Town) MAKEDONIA CENTRAL
  Three-aisled wooden-roofed basilica with a narthex. Its architectural type presents many archaic features. The holy bema was decorated with mosaics of which is preserved only a representation of Apostle Andrew (now in the Archaeological Museum of Serres).
  The church is dated to the 11th century and was probably built at the site of an Early Christian basilica. Additions were made in the 12th and 13th centuries.
  It was renovated several times: in 1430 by metropolitan Philip, in 1602 by metropolitan Theophanes, in 1700 by metropolitan Anthimos, in 1725 by metropolitan Stephen, in 1735 by metropolitan Gabriel, in 1751 by metropolitan Ioannikios, in 1835 and 1842. It was destroyed by fire twice, in 1849 and in 1913. Today the church functions again.

Old Metropolis - Agii Theodori church

  In the center of the old town and below street level, there is the brilliant old cathedral of St. Theodore's, a big rectangular Royal (Bassilica). It was first founded during the palaiochristian era. According to another tradition, it was built on the remains of an ancient church. The cathedral was built in 1224 AD by the Sovereign Ruler of Epirus, Theodore Angel Komninos in memory of the glorious victory against the Franks, just outside the city.
  The first reference to the Old Cathedral was made in a golden bull of Adronikos the Senior in 1321 AD. It is described in detail by the orator Theodore Pediasimos, a native of Serres, in his brilliant essay "expressions about the sanctum of Feres (i.e. Serres)" (14th century). At the northwest side there is a burial chapel, probably built in 1364 for Patriarch Kallistos. A plinth sign on the southern side of the church wall states the following: "ΕΝ ΕΤΕΙ ΕΨΚΕ + Ο ΤΑΠΕΙΝΟΣ ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟΛΙΤΗΣ ΣΕΡΡΩΝ ΣΤΕΦΑΝΟΣ Ο ΚΤΙΤΩΡ", testifying that the wall was demolished and rebuilt in 1725.
  St. Theodores' church is well-known for its mosaics, from which after the fire of 1913 the only one that was rescued was the one that shows Apostle Andreas and the hands of Apostle Loukas. In the apse is a huge mosaic of the Last Supper, still splendid in its decay. This historical church has been repaired and renovated during the years, which has resulted in a slight transformation of its original shape. During the great fire of 1913 the church got almost completely burned. It was restored recently under the watchful eye of the Archaeological Authorities and church services are now held there.

This text is cited Jan 2004 from the University of Patras' The ARCADIA website URL below, which contains images.


Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos

At the N.E. end of the castle there is the exquisite Byzantine church of St Nikolaos, which was restored and renewed in 1937. Until 1926 many mural remnants and jewel remnants were kept in the inside of the church with the usual technique and topics of the Palaeologi period. In the east side of the church, under the bilobed window of the apse there is the entrance to a crypt, in which you can get to via a small staircase. This crypt served the purpose of a cemetery, in other words it was a place were the guards of the castle were buried after they were murdered or had died in it from a disease or any other cause. The cemetery character of the crypt of St. Nikolaos is reinforced by the few graves' remnants and people's bones that were found in it.

This text is cited Jan 2004 from the University of Patras' The ARCADIA website URL below, which contains image.


Country churches

Chapel of Agii Anargyri

CHIONOCHORI (Settlement) SERRES
Chionohori is positioned on the steep slope of Menikio mountain. It' s a real ark, where an original part of our byzantine tradition is kept with great respect. That is the byzantine country church, carved on a rock, where the visitor a experience a real atmosphere of the first centuries of monastic life. According to historical tradition, Joannikios, the founder of the holy nunnery of John the Baptist and his nephew Joakim, took shelter in this country church. However, the damp climate started to damage the health of this great ascetic, so he had to move to the other side of Menikio mountain, where he founded the wonderful Nunnery of John the Baptist.

Monasteries

Monastery of Timios Prodromos

MONI TIMIOU PRODROMOU SERON (Monastery) SERRES
Tel: +30 23210 71189
  The Monastery of Timios Prodromos is located 12 km. NE of Serres, in the bottom of a ravine on Mt Menoikion. The catholicon (main church) was built in the 14th century and belongs to the single-aisled domed type with lite, narthex, exonarthex and an oblong roofed portico on the south side (Makrynariki). On the north side are two chapels and the belfry. The rest of the buildings are organized around the catholicon: cells, abbot's quarters, school, refectory, library, hostel. The wall paintings of the catholicon were executed in 1300-1333 and were continued in several periods, by various artists.
  The monastery was founded in 1275-1278 by monk Ioannikios from Serres and a few years later it was renovated by his nephew, Ioakeim, bishop of Zichne. It soon developed to an important monastic centre with great financial prosperity, because it was favoured by the Byzantine emperors. Patriarch George Scholarios (Gennadios) died here and was buried in the catholicon.
  The monastery, still functioning today, acquired its final form with the addition of many buildings during the Turkish occupation.
  In the years between 1972 and 1986 the roofs of several buildings were repaired. Since 1986 restoration has been carried out at the cells of the east wing and at the north wing.

Monastery of Timios Prodromos

The Holy Nunnery of John the Baptist is 9 km east of the city of Serres, in a ravine of Menikio mountain, surrounded by a picturesque and pious setting, where the soul is truly distracted from every prosy concern and rised to eternity. There you can experience the piece of sight and the poetry of biblical tranquillity. You can experience an intact part of the Byzantine world, devoted to John the Baptist. The Nunnery is surrounded by an atmosphere of eternity and real charm. The Nunnery was built in 1270 a.c. by Ioannikios, who served as Bishop of Ezeve (Dafni). Afterwards, his nephew, Joakem, Metropolite of Zihni, during the year 1300 surrounded the Nunnery with high, solid walls and endowed it with royal donations (monastery dependency and land).
In 1345 A.C. the land belonging to the Nunnery was almost destroyed by the invasion of the Serbs. Only due to Hellen, wife of the Serbian Krali Stefanos Dousan, the land wasn't completely destroyed. During the Turkish domination the Nunnery had the great honour of welcoming the first Patriarch Gennadios Shcolarios after the fall of Constantinople. According to history, Gennadios was a Patriarch for 3 years, from 1453 to 1457 and then he resigned and came to the Nunnery. In 1462 he was invited to the Patriarchal throne for the second time, which lasted only for one year. In 1464 he returned to the Patriarchal throne for the third time, but he was replaced by Joasaph the 1st, not having even completed one yea and as a result he returned to the Nunnery, where he died in 1472.
According to tradition, Gennadios' grave was in the middle part of the catholic church of the Nunnery, close to the graves of the Founders. The removal of his relics took place in May 1854 and now are placed in a box. Close to the grave there is a marble sign, engraved with an honorable epigram by the poet Helias Tantalidis, which was sent by the Patriarchate of Constantinople, at the time of the removal of the wise Patriarch's relics.
The Nunnery has been the center of an uninterrupted painting movement. There are icons of the 14th century, some of the most interesting in our country and also beautiful wall paintings from the year 1630. There is also a wonderful icon screen made out of walnut wood and very artistically engraved in 1804. In the square ancient tower of the Nunnery, that was converted into a Library, there were 100 handwritten volumes in vellum, 200 handwritten volumes in paper, 1500 volumes of different kinds of books, 4 golden bulls of Byzantine Emperors, in vellum, 5 patriarchic sigils, 4 old codes and many other religious articles that were stolen by the Bulgarians during 1913 and 1917.

The monastery of Timios Prodromos

SERRES (Town) MAKEDONIA CENTRAL
  The most important monastery of the region of Serrhai was founded in the 13th century in a gorge of Mount Menoikion, not far from the city of Serrhai. It was laid out following the plan of most Athonite monasteries, i.e. it had encircling walls to which other structures were later added, a sturdy square tower, chapels, and a katholikon with 14th century wall-paintings.
  As the spiritual centre of Hellenism in eastern Macedonia, during the Balkan wars the monastery of Timios Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) provoked the fury of the Bulgarians, who took pains to strip it of its historic treasures. Greek historical documents and in particular the monastic library were carried off to Sofia in their entirety in 1912. The quest for these invaluable sources of Macedonian history has since occupied, as it continues to occupy, much scholarly research.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains images.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions