Places of worship PSARA (Port) NORTH AEGEAN - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "PSARA Port NORTH AEGEAN" .


Places of worship (4)

Churches

The Church of Aghios Nikolaos

PSARA (Port) NORTH AEGEAN
The church of Aghios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) is located atop a small hill and affords a breathtaking view of the port and the village of Psara. Construction began in 1785 and was completed in 1793. During the Massacre of Chios, the church was bombarded, however, it was later reconstructed in 1863. It was from this point that Constantine Kanaris began his attack on the Turkish flagship.

Monasteries

Monastery of the Virgin

MONI KOIMISSEOS THEOTOKOU (Monastery) PSARA
  This was built in the 16th century and played an important role in the revolution of 1822, when it was destroyed by the Turks. It was restored by the monk Athanasios in 1880 - 90. The last monk died in 1983. Every year on August 1, the resident of Psara bring the icon of the kimisis to the town, and conduct prayers in the home. After vesper services for the feast day of the Saviour (Tou Sotiros) on August 5, the icon is returned to the monastery.

Monastery of the Virgin

This was built in the 16th century and played an important role in the revolution of 1822, when it was destroyed by the Turks. It was restored by the monk Athanasios in 1880-90. The last monk died in 1983. Every year on August 1, the resident of Psara bring the icon of the kimisis to the town, and conduct prayers in the home. After vesper services for the feast day of the Saviour (Tou Sotiros) on August 5, the icon is returned to the monastery.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions