gtp logo

Location information

Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "ERESSOS Small town LESVOS" .

Places of worship (6)


Monastery of Perivola at Antissa

Tel: +30 22530 56249
  The monastery of Perivoli is situated in a by-passing of the country road Kalloni-Antissa, just before the village of Antissa on the banks of the Voulgaris river. It is a women convent dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin and it was devastated in recent years. In the past (at least from the 16th up to the end of the 18th century), it constituted part of the men's monastery of Taxiarches Kreokopou, which is located at approximately an hour's distance from Perivoli, on the top of Mt Chalakas.
  The katholikon (main church) of the monastery is built according to the type of a two-aisled wooden roof basilica; it is of small dimensions with remarkable frescoes that date in the 16th century.

Monastery of Perivoli

It is at the northwest part of the island at a distance of 3 km from the small town of Antissa. In the Byzantine times it was a convent, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was rebuilt in 1630. Worth noticing are the icons of the fretwork icon-screen and the hagiographies (16th century).

This text is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains images.

Northeastern of the small town of Eressos (3 km ). It is dedicated to the Taxiarches (Archangels) and its founding dates back to the medieval times. It is a Byzantine Monastery with a plethora of interesting icons, ecclesiastical objects and hagiographies.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains images.

  The monastery of Ypsilos, an active men's monastery, is dedicated to St John Theologos and is located in the west part of Lesbos, on the top of Mt Ordymnos, at a height of 634 m and at a distance of 81 km from Mytilene. Tradition places the foundation of the monastery in Byzantine years, before A.D. 800, and mentions it as "Monastery of Korakas", a name which was modified to "Monastery of Zisira" in the years of the Turkish occupation.
  From its Byzantine phase very little information has been saved and is believed that the monastery was abandoned and devastated in late Byzantine years. The monastery flourishes again in post-Byzantine years but it is destroyed by fire. The existing katholikon (main church) was built in 1832 and constitutes part of a monastic complex, which develops around the katholikon.
  In the monastery there is a particularly interesting vestry as well as a library with important manuscripts.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.

It is built on the top of the rocky mountain Ordymnos, between Antissa and Sigri and dedicated to Ayios Ioannis Theologos (Saint John the Theologian). The choice of its location is evidence of its medieval origin (in 800AD). The Cathedral has wonderful wall paintings (hagiographies) and precious ecclesiastical objects.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains images.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures