AGIASSOS (Small town) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22520 22242
The church is situated in the centre of the village Agiasos and is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin. It is a three-aisled post-Byzantine basilica (32,20 x 26,20 m.), with a marble templon made in the beginning of the 19th century and with wall paintings dating from 1838. In the church's yard there is an ecclesiastical museum with numerous remarkable exhibits from the area around.
The church constitutes one of the most important places of pilgrimage on Lesbos. An impressive folklore festival takes place on the 15th of August.
It is at the small town Ayiassos. The name "Ayia Sion" comes from the old icon of the Virgin Mary, painted according to tradition by Saint Luke the Evangelist. In 803 AD -the period of Iconoclasm - the priest-monk Agathon brought it from Jerusalem, also known as "Ayia Sion", to the island. Agathon founded the monastery that soon became a pilgrimage and the nucleus of the town that formed around it. The present church was built in 1814 at around the time when the Monastery stopped functioning as such. In the courtyard there is an Ecclesiastical Museum with an interesting collection of manuscripts and valuable ecclesiastical items. It is one of the most significant pilgrimages of the island.
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!