Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "POLICHNITOS Small town MYTILINI" .
POLICHNITOS (Small town) MYTILINI
This church is a three-aisled basilica.
Eastern of the small town of Polichnitos. It is a Byzantine Monastery (14th century), dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. In the Cathedral there are wonderful wall paintings of Byzantine art and significant ecclesiastical items.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains image.
The monastery of Damandri is situated in the area of Polichnitos and
was founded in post-Byzantine years, at an era during which numerous churches
and monasteries were founded on the island. The monastery's katholikon
(main church) is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin and belongs to the type
of a single-aisled basilica. The name "Damandri" is taken from a small Byzantine
village, the ruins of which are very close to the monastery; the village in question
is mentioned in a Metropolis Codex from 1567 to 1652.
The church's wall paintings, which date in the 18th century (1733), were made by the painter Chomatzas. The wood carved templon dates in the late years of the Turkish occupation, whereas the icons of Christ and the Virgin Hodegetria in the 16th and 17th century.
This text is cited June 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!