Listed 10 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "LEONIDION Municipality ARCADIA" .
Half way from Palaiochori to Ayios Vassileios on a tree covered slope we can make out the ruins of the stronghold of the Monastery of the Archangel. The church, as is characteristic of many others found in Cynuria and other places, is an octagonal, domed, cruciform single-aisled structure. There are wall paintings, presumably damaged by the fire set by Ibrahim (Pasha). Written evidence exists dating from 1744 to 1834, when it is abandoned. Two bishops of the successive Metropolis of 'Reondos Prastou', Iakovos and Dionysios, are involved in the life of the monastery, an example of its role in the Cynurian life of the period.
The monastery a ruined structure with an upright katholikon, which is a basilica with an apse in the sanctuary, and the adjacent very high tower, is found on the road from Ayios Vassileios towards Platanaki, on the ruins of the ancient castle of the city of Glyppia. It is a place of intense ancient Greek presence, blessed by the toil of holy souls from 1806 to 1831, when it is abandoned.
The monastery of Sintza (fig tree), perched on the red cliffs SW of Leonidio seems unapproachable. Among the huge cliffs, the visitor can see the snow-white cells, the domed cross-in-square katholikon with the carved iconostasis and the icons dating back from 1650. The first written evidence of the history of the monastery dates back from 1628. Today it is a nunnery. The nuns will usually be found at the monastery dependency Ayios Charalambos, a small distance from Leonidio on the road towards the parent monastery.
MONI KARYAS (Monastery) LEONIDION
Tel: +30 27570 31860
The monastery of Ayios Nikolaos of 'Karya' is found after the nunnery of 'Artokosta', on the left of the road to Prastos and near the medieval castle of 'Orionta'. Its form reminds us of a typical monastery of Mount Athos, unique to the whole of monastic Cynuria. It is surrounded by cells and other auxiliary structures covered with slate from Mt Malevos. The covered balconies bow towards the katholikon which belongs to the tri-apsidal or Mount Athos architectural type. Inside it is full of wall paintings by Yeoryios Moschou (1638), a magnificent carved iconostasis and relics, which are found in the sanctuary. In the centre, the well-preserved double-headed eagle is visible (1734). The monastery is open throughout most of the year.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!