Tel: +30 27210 22856
MONI DIMIOVIS (Monastery) KALAMATA
The Monastery of Dimiova is 10 km east of Kalamata on the slopes of Taygetos and was built in the 8th century by the byzantine emperor Leonda the 3rd, the Isavro. It reached its heyday in the 15th century and was destroyed in 1463 during the war between the Turks and the Eneti. The contemporary Monastery was built in the 17th century and has woodcurved reredos made in 1773 while its church was painted in fresco in 1663. The miracle icon of the Virgin Mary the Timiovitissa is in the Monastery. This icon, according to tradition, was struck by an axe on the face and bled. It is celebrated on the 15th August, when a host of visitors from Kalamata and the surrounding area visit the Monastery from the day before, in order to attend the vespers and the service.
This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below.
Tel: +30 27210 23115
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!