ELLINOEKLISSIA (Village) ANDROUSSA
The church of Samarina of the Holy Mary the Egyptian is celebrated today in the name of the Zoedochou Pigi (Virgin Mary) and is Knowh with the popular name Samarina. It is situated near the village Ellinoklisia (=Greek Church) or Samari and was subject to the byzantine episcopacy of Androusa. As a building it dates back to the end of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th century, about 1200 A.D. according to local tradition. According to one version it was built on the ruins of an older, idolatrons temple dedicated to the goddess rea. The shape of the church itself is cross-like while its dome is decorated with bricks and supported on two pillars and on the dies of the iconostasis. The four props of the arch, which bring the dome closer to the Holy Altar, while the architectural influence on the domed hemispheres is clearly from Konstantinopole.
This extract is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains images.
LABENA (Village) ITHOMI
According to its engraved inscription, it was built in 1865 and signifies an innovation as far as church architecture is concerned. This innovation was first observed in Thessaloniki after the Hati Houmayioun Treaty was signed in 1856. Regarding its form, a square small tower with a cross on top accords with the arch of the three-winged basilica of Ayios Geogrios, an element related to religious beliefs as well as national ideals. Such an element favours the arrival of neobyzantinism, which eliminates memories from the Turkish occupation and introduces a monumental style of a symbolic nature.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.
MONI VOULKANOU (Monastery) ITHOMI
Tel: +30 27240 51258
The new Holy Monastery of Voulkano was founded in 1625 in the east part of Ithomi and was restored in 1967 by the Metropolitan Chrysostomos Themelis. In the centre of the yard there is the church in the shape of a domed cross dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary the Voulkaniotissa whose name came from the miracle icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary which according to tradition is dating back to the 14th century and is the work of the Evangelist Loukas. The Holy Monastery is for men only and is celebrated on the 15th August. On the day before the celebration there is vespers and a vigil. On the 20th September the icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary is carried in a religious procession of 20 km, from the church of the Monastery of Voulcano to the church of the Source of Life in Messini in the area of Panigyristra where it is displayed for 9 days for people to pay their respects.
On the top of the holy mountain of Ithomi there is the Holy Altar of the old monastery of Voulkano, which was founded during the Midbyzantine Era (843-1204), according to tradition by the emperor Leonida the 3rd Isavrou in 725 A.D. In 1625, the monks of the monastery, which is also called «of the peak», built the new monastery in the area «Under the Mother of water» on the eastern slopes of Ithomi. The monastery was restored in 1967 by the Metropolitan of Messinia Chrysostomos Themelis. The Holy Altar of the old monastery «of the peak» has been recounted in 1638 by the painters of holy icons and brothers Moschi while the Holy Altar of the church is placed on the pedestal of an ancient statue. Three of its sides bear inscriptions which are ancient and illegible. During the domination by the Turks it became a shelter for guerrilla fighters while it also contributed considerable sums of money for the Cause during the Greek Revolution.
This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
PETRALONA (Settlement) ITHOMI
This monastery (for men) at Petralona of Ithomi at constitutes an excellent byzantine monument which is very impressive with its turrets and fortified yard; a real castle. It was given the name Andromonastiro(=monastery for men) to distinguish it from the church of Samarina (Holy Mary the Egyptian) which was a monastery for women not 'men'. It was not Andro(niko)monastiro, built, that is, by Andronikos the 2nd the Palaeologo (1282-1328) but the main church is a building of the late 12th century, approximately 1200 A.D, while it is possible that additions (in construction) were made later on. In the inside of the high wall of the yard there is a four pillar church, which is a magnificent sample of byzantine style with excellent byzantine frescos.
This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!