EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 10 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "ALEXANDROUPOLI Province EVROS" .


Places of worship (10)

Cathedrals

Holy Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Nicolas

The cathedral of St. Nicolas was first in stimulating the development of Alexandroupolis. Initially in 1850 a similar church was built in the same area with the contributions of the few navymen and fishermen of the coastal settlements.
In the construction of today's large church, the citizens of Ainos of Alexandroupolis for its aesthetic improvement transferred from the beautiful gate of the city of Ainos valuable icons, the gold-plated Sacred Icon which is used in the formal procession on Good Friday and other sacred items which today are located in the Ecclesiastical Museum. The Church was completed in 1900 and the formal inauguration occurred in 1901 by the Metropolitan Bishop Germanos of Ainos.
In 1908, with the contribution of Vlassios Souchour of Samos, consul of Austria-Hugary in Alexandroupolis, the construction and the raising of the two belfries took place. The church was renovated in 1947 under the auspice of Metropolitan Bishop Ioakim Kaviris.
The Church is dedicated to the city's patron saint, Saint Nicolas. It is tree-portioned with a dome, two belfries and other assorted architectural elements.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


Churches

Agii Theodori

4km W of Avas, there are at the place of mountain Zoneos. Rocky temple in cave. Walls and wall up iconostasis which is decorated with Byzantine wall paintings of11-13th century.


FERES (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Panagia Eleftherotria


St. George

Kerke had the luck to safe the last atelier of Byzantine hagiography in Greece. Samples of its artistic work are decorating the temple of the Agios Georgios central fane. The icons of the temple where painted in the years 1926- 1927 from a monk named Kerelos (1871-1945), who was born in Kerke and had learn the hagiographic art on the Agio Oros. When he returned to his country he started running the atelier and his most important student was the folk painter Pashalis Katsikas.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below.


Post byzantine church - Paleochori Nipsa


Monasteries


FERES (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Monastery of Panagia Kosmosoteira

In Feres, 29-km to the northeast of Alexandroupolis and next to the river Evros, is the Byzantine City Vera located. The city is closely related to the emperor Isaac Komnenos. In the years 1151- 1152 he built the Cosmosotera monastery and then he abounded the cosmic life. Nowadays only the central shrine is saved, which is one of the best samples of Komninian architecture, and parts from three of the six towers. In the inside of the monastery you can see brilliant wall paintings from the Komnenean period, which are presenting the art of Konstantinoples. In the yard of the fane you can see marble architectural.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.



MAKRI (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Monastery of the Virgin at Evros

Tel: +30 25510 71263

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.