EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed  1  sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for destination:  "ALEXANDROUPOLI , Town , EVROS " .
Places of worship (1)
   Cathedrals (1)

Places of worship (1)

 Cathedrals
Holy Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Nicolas
The cathedral of St. Nicolas was first in stimulating the development of Alexandroupolis. Initially in 1850 a similar church was built in the same area with the contributions of the few navymen and fishermen of the coastal settlements.
In the construction of today's large church, the citizens of Ainos of Alexandroupolis for its aesthetic improvement transferred from the beautiful gate of the city of Ainos valuable icons, the gold-plated Sacred Icon which is used in the formal procession on Good Friday and other sacred items which today are located in the Ecclesiastical Museum. The Church was completed in 1900 and the formal inauguration occurred in 1901 by the Metropolitan Bishop Germanos of Ainos.
In 1908, with the contribution of Vlassios Souchour of Samos, consul of Austria-Hugary in Alexandroupolis, the construction and the raising of the two belfries took place. The church was renovated in 1947 under the auspice of Metropolitan Bishop Ioakim Kaviris.
The Church is dedicated to the city's patron saint, Saint Nicolas. It is tree-portioned with a dome, two belfries and other assorted architectural elements.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.

http://www.aneta.gr/cfdocs/uk/alexpoli_views_uk.ht... English Greek

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.