SKIATHOS (Small town) NORTH SPORADES
"I Panagia i Limnia" with the nice bell-tower rising in the whole village is the second parish church of the island. The icons from "Christos sto Kastro - Christ in the Castle" as well as Papadiamantis's head are kept here. The parish of Panagia continues to preserve the nice traditions and customs of the island, so vividly represented in the writhen work of Alexandros Papadiamantis and Alexandros Moraitidis.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains image.
The church of "Trion Ierarchon" (The Tree Church Fathers) which has been the cathedral of the island for 150 years leads the intellectual cultivation of the island, since it was blessed to have in its bosoms competent and excellent priests and intellectual leaders such as priest Adamantios, father of Papadiamantis, priest Nikolas Papanikolaou, priest Andreas Bouras and other led always by priest Georgios Rigas, the great scholar and author of the island. The Church of "Trion Ierarchon" is a basilica of three aisles, built in 1846. It is built in the centre of the village near the beach. In this church there is the icon of Panagias tis Eikonistrias, which was found in a miraculous way around 1650. This is the patron saint of the island and it is a sacred pilgrimage for both the inhabitants and the visitors of the island. Many sacred heirlooms from all the country churches of the island have been transferred into this church as well as many icons of great archaeological value. all these sacred heirlooms are in perfect functional condition. Here services are held according to the old ritual and the tradition of "Kollyvathes" still remains alive.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.
Panagia Eikonistria is the most holy site of the island, since the miraculous icon of Panagia was found here around 1650 AC. According to the tradition the icon was hanged from a pine tree and moved back-forth. That’s why is also called "Kounistra" (moving). An important intellectual figure of the island and of the Church, Dionysios the Old, was a monk at this monastery. The Catholikon is a basilica of one aisle with a dome, built in the 17th century and has a gold plated rood screen and spectacular hagiographies.
The Panagia Eikonistria icon in nowadays is housed in the Skiathos Cathedral church and is honoured every year on the day of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary, on 21st of November, with a great festivity as Panagia Eikonistria is the protector of the island.
The Monastery of the Annunciation or the Evangelistria, as it is widely known, is one of the most remarkable monuments of Northern Sporades.< br>
The Monastery was built on the Agallianou site, where there were ruins of an old monastery. The complex was built from 1794 to 1806 and became the stronghold of "Kollyvades". A group of monks from Agion Oros, led by Niphon, due to a feud that emerged after the mid-18th century to the beginning of the 19th, left from there and went to several islands ( Patmos, Samos, Leipso etc.). After a short wandering they went to Skiathos, where they proceeded with the monastery’s building.
Monastery’s architecture is based on the one of the Agion Oros monasteries. The Cathedral is a condensed form of the Athonite type with the lateral spaces, the frugal and the splint and roofed by three domes, covered by gray slates. The rich rood screen projects into the simple space of the church. Only the Holy Step has frescoes from the time of the Greek Revolution, by painters from Galatista. In this space kept in ambries bones of many Saints. Outside the Catholic, within the monastery complex are the monks’ cells, the bank, the hospital, the hostel, the vesta (kitchen), the magkipeio, the taliagkra (olive press), the library, the chapels, the storerooms, the stable, etc. In addition, the monastery has a valuable library with many rare publications and documents, an eccestiastic museum, where are many priestly utensils and relics and a olive press/exhibition.
Daily itineraries from the town of Skiathos to the monastery service the visitors.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!