Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for destination: "AGIOS PROKOPIOS
Places of worship (1)
The Abbey of the Great Martyr Agios Prokopios is found in the village
"Ag. Prokopios" of Trikala, in an altitude of 700m. 10 km far from the
town of Pyli.
It is built on the slopes of the mountain "Stefani", of Pindos'
mountain range, in a splendid location with abundantly spring waters, drowned
in the green, with marvellous forest from a variety of trees and thickets.
The roughly 48 acres of the Abbey were paled with stone wall from
bulky stones that in many places are apparent until today. Round the Temple and
the cells there was a roughly 2 m. high wall and immured an area of roughly 4
acres. It had two entries eastwards and westwards. The Catholic of
the Abbey was stone-built. The roof and the dome were made from flint and in many
places of the roof as well as in the corners of the dome there were fixture special
earthen vessels for the creation of good acoustic of the room. The roof was made
from stone. In the northern part there was a small door of entry with the top
part arched. This door led to the Narthex that was separated from the main Temple
with a stone wall. A small door, smaller than the entry led to the Main Temple.
The Temple was Byzantine, three-aisled, with dancing and dome, entire with hagiographies.
The Temple was wood-curve, of most excellent style. Proportion sculptured decorated
with ivory. The candlesticks from crucible wrought iron.
The earthquake in 1954, lead the top of the dome to collapse and the
walls of the Abbey suffered serious cracks. The non re-establishment of the damages
and the weather contributed, so that the damages become irreparable. So, in 1960
the ignorance... demolished everything that had remained standing, in order for
a new smaller temple to be built.
This effort to construct a New Temple stopped in the foundation up
to 1986. In 19/10/86 with the benedictions of the Venerable Metropolite of Trikki
and Stagon Mr. Alexios, a new foundation of the Temple was laid. After 4 years
of efforts, the New Temple was completed and was inaugurated by the Metropolite
Mr. Alexjos in 8/7/1989. From the church of the Old Abbey 6 pictures of the Temple
were only saved and two Holy Gospels. According to information the Abbey was founded
in the Middle of the 16th century in honour of the Prophet Elias.
Later, unknown how, the Abbey of the Prophet Elias was renamed into
Abbey of Agios Prokopios. The tradition reports that an old monk saw in a vision
' Saint Prokopios saying to him: "The prophet Elias has many Temples all
over Greece, however I have not even one". Then a delegation of monks - always
accordingly to the tradition - returned in the Patriarchate and reported the drama
in the Patriarch. He advised they should build a divine Temple for the praise
of Agios Prokopios. And it may be the only Abbey in the Christian world, for the
praise of the Great Martyr Agios Prokopios. On a marble slate that was found,
the church of the Abbey had been renovated in 1761. Also, according to information
of the villages' residents, up to 1924 the Abbey was functioning, as elders report
the presence of two old monks.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.