Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Biographies
for destination: "KAVALA
MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE".
Papaioannou Giannis (Andreou)
He was born in Kavala in 1939. His parents taught him the love for
the Church of Jesus Christ. Very young, he settled in Thessaloniki
with his family. During his high-school years, he began to study Byzantine Music.
His first tutor was the theoretician Abraham Euthymiadis in “St. Demetrius”
In 1956 he met the Great Master, Chief Cantor Mr. Athanasios Karamanis,
who catechized him into the patriarchal style. Since 1958 he chants in various
churches of Thessaloniki and
since 2002 he is First Chanter of the Holy Church of St. George of Panorama.
In 1968 he graduated from the “Macedonian Conservatory”. His teachers
were A. Karamanis and Ch. Taliadoros. He taught in the Municipal Conservatory
of Thessaloniki and in the
School of the Arnea Cathedral.
For quite a while he was broadcasting from one of the State Radio
Channels of Thessaloniki.
In 1990 he was twice a guest chanter in America.
In the last 22 years, thousands of copies of his 10 personal cassettes have been
released. Lately, cassettes and CDs of the Byzantine Choir “St. John Koukouzelis”
(that Mr. Daskalakis founded and conducts this day) have also been released. In
January 1994 Mr. Daskalakis was awarded the golden medal of St. Cyril and Methodius
from His Holiness the Metropolite of Thessaloniki,
Mr. Panteleimon B', for his contribution to the promotion of Byzantine Music.
In January 2002 he founded a School for Byzantine Music in the Holy
Church of St. John of Panorama.
He strongly believes that his young and talented students will go on serving Byzantine
Music, this way being his successors.
This text is cited January 2004 from the Municipality
of Patmos, the Prefecture
of Dodecanese, the Holy
Monastery of St. John the Theologian and the Ministry
of the Aegean tourist pamphlet (2003).
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.