Listed 1 sub titles with search on: History
for destination: "AFYTOS
Strabo mentions Aphytis among the five cities, which existed in Pallini
in the first century B.C. (Cassandrea,
Aphytis, Mendi, Scioni
A long interim period followed for which we have on records of Aphytis.
Traces of the Mediefal wall in the citadel. The present "Koutsomylos",
as well as the continuous use of the same name prove that there was uninterrupted
life in Aphytos also during the Middle Ages. The first written information about
Aphytos comes from Mount Athos
documents of the 14th century in which it is mentioned as "Aphetos".
In 1307-1309, it appears that the village was destroyed by the Catalans,
and for a while its people settled in their farms.
The chapel of the Archangels, frescoed in 1647 (demolished in 1954)
indicated that Athytos was flourishing financially at that time.
Athytos participated in the Revolution of 1821, sending men and suffering
casualties. However, it also met the same fate as the rest of Cassandra:
it was burnt. After the destruction, its people scattered to various parts of
the country, mainly Skopelos,
Skiathos and Atalanti.
Around the year 1827 the refugees started returning, and Aphytos,
mainly due to its position, was a long time the principal village of Cassandra.
In Aphytos settled Captain Anastasis, who ruled the peninsula up to 1834.
(text: Gerakina N. Mylona)
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Community
of Athytos tourist pamphlet (1994).
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.