Written testimonies are: in 875 ad from the Archbishop of Thessalonica,
Vasilios as "Sermylia Komi" in "Bio", which he has written in the beginning of
the 10th century ad for his master, Eythimios the Young, and in 1047 ad during
the demarcation of the fields that belonged to the abbey "Xavounion", that is
today's Ploygiros. In the
last document one can read that: "... it touches the borders of the castle Ermylia".
Since the beginning of the 13th century, the monasteries from the Holy
Mt Athos have a very dynamic presence in the area by establishing dependencies
in the fertile lowland and thus restricting the habitants of Ormylia in the higher
and more barren areas or by employing them. The raise of the number of the monastery
dependencies was boosted more in the next century mainly because of the raids
from the Serbs and the Turks forcing the habitants to sell their estates. In the
beginning of the 14th century one of the 6 commanding precincts of Chalkidiki
was called "Kapetanakion of Ermylia".
Ormylia was finally occupied by the Turks somewhere between 1416 and 1424. During the occupation the Ottoman Empire granted the Christians various privileges in exchange with heavy taxation. The villages next to the monasteries, were under the protection of the Holy Mt Athos. This meant that most of them, including Ormylia, were left somewhat free of occupation and they were able to develop very important trading activities. Ormylia even managed to become in the 19th century the most important silk industry centres.
In 1818, a very big church was built in the name of St George, a fact that proves how well established was the economy of the village. In 1821, Ormylia enters the Greek Revolution together with the rest of Chalkidiki and under the commandment of Emmanouil Pappa. Unfortunately this attempt failed and the Turks burned the whole peninsula of Chalkidiki.
During the revolution of 1854, Tsamis Karatasos - leader of the revolution in the area - settled in Metoxi and he gave one of the most crucial battles in the area of Psakoudia of Ormylia. When he left, Metoxi was burned to the ground. Ormylia was liberated from the Turks in October 1912, having been for almost 500 years under occupation.
In 1923 immigrants from the Asia Minor arrived to settle in the area. They established the village of Vatopedi which was subsumed by the Municipality of Ormylia in 1971. When the immigrants arrived, began the expropriation and distribution of the estates that belonged to the monasteries. Those were given to the immigrants as well as to the local farmers.
In 1941 - 1944, during the German occupation, the habitants took active part in the National opposition, organizing among other things a network to collect British officers and soldiers and help them escape to the Middle East.
This text is cited Oct 2003 from the Municipality of Ormylia URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!