Listed 3 sub titles with search on: History
for destination: "AMORGOS
Amorgos was originally inhabited by seafarers from the Asia Minor
coast around the 4th millenium B.C. Numerous grave sites (Tholi) and many Cycladic
figures attest to the early, middle and late Cycladic periods which the island
went through. The largest Cycladic figure, approximately one-meter tall , was
found on Amorgos and can be seen on display in the Archaelogical
Museum in Athens. The Cycladic period was very prosperous for the island since
it was the nearest Cycladic metal center off the Eastern coast. Amorgos has had
numerous names throughout its history. It has been called Pagali, Karkisia and
Psychia. Its present name drives from the Mourgos plant from which a rare red
dye was extracted to colour royal tunics. As numerous as its names are the number
Amorgos was colonized by Assyrians,
Samians and Cretans.
It was a member of the Delian league during the Hellenistic period when it was
under the Athenian control. It consequently passed to the Macedonians, Ptolomes
and then to the Romans who used it as a place of exile. The island passed to Venetian
rule in the beginning of the 13th century. The Turkish admiral Barbaric conquered
the island for the Ottoman Empire in the beginning of the 16th century. Amorgos
gained its independence in 1823 and the monastery in Chora
founded the first Lyceum in free Greece.
The Battle of Amorgos
322 BC, the end of the Lamian War.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.