gtp logo

Πληροφορίες τοπωνυμίου

Εμφανίζονται 7 τίτλοι με αναζήτηση: Πληροφορίες για τον τόπο  στην ευρύτερη περιοχή: "ΚΥΠΑΡΙΣΣΙΑ Κωμόπολη ΜΕΣΣΗΝΙΑ" .

Πληροφορίες για τον τόπο (7)

Κόμβοι, εμπορικοί



Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

  Eth. Amphigeneus. One of the towns belonging to Nestor (Horn. Il. ii. 593), was placed by some ancient critics in Messenia, and by others in Macistia, a district in Triphylia. Strabo assigns it to Macistia near the river Hypsoeis, where in his time stood a temple of Leto.


Cyparissia. Kuparissia, Kuparisseeis, Kuparissiai, Kuparissai, Kuparissos, Eth. Kuparissieus, Kuparisseus. A town on the western coast of Messenia, situated a little south of the river Cyparissus, upon the bay to which it gave the name of the Cyparissian gulf. (Plin. Mela, ll. cc.) This gulf was 72 miles in circuit according to Pliny, and was bounded by the promontory of Ichthys on the north, and by that of Cyparissium on the south. Cyparissia was the only town of importance upon the western coast of Messenia between Pylus and Triphylia. It is mentioned in the Homeric catalogue (Il. l. c.), and appears to have been inhabited from the earliest to the latest times. It was beautifully situated upon the sides of one of the offshoots of the range of mountains, which run along this part of the Messenian coast. Upon the narrow summit of the rocks now occupied by a castle built in the middle ages, stood the ancient acropolis. There is no harbour upon the Messenian coast north of Pylos; but Leake remarks that the roadstead at Cyparissia seems to be the best on this part of the coast; and in ancient times the town probably possessed an artificial harbour, since traces of a mole may still be seen upon the sea-shore. This was probably constructed on the restoration of Messene by Epaminondas; for it was necessary to provide the capital of the new state with a port, and no spot was so suitable for this object as Cyparissia. Hence we find Messene and the harbour Cyparissia mentioned together by Scylax. Pausanias found in the town a temple of Apollo, and one of Athena Cyparissia. The town continued to coin money down to the time of Severus. In the middle ages it was called Arkadia, a name which was transferred from the interior of the peninsula to this place upon the coast. It continued to bear this name till its destruction by Ibrahim in 1825, and when rebuilt it resumed its ancient name Cyparissia, by which it is now called. Some remains of ancient walls may be traced around the modern castle; and below the castle on the slope of the hill, near the church of St. George, are some fragments of columns. On the south side of the town, close to the sea-shore, a fine stream rushes out of the rock and flows into the sea; and a little above is a basin with a spring of water, near which are some stones belonging to an ancient structure. This is the ancient fountain sacred to Dionysus, which Pausanias perceived near the entrance of the city, on the road from Pylus.
  Stephanus calls Cyparissia a city of Triphylia, and Strabo (viii.) also distinguishes between the Triphylian and Messenian Cyparissia, but on what authority we do not know.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks

Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities


A town in Messenia, on the western coast, on a promontory and bay of the same name.

Ονόματα του τόπου

Κυπάρισσοι, Κυπάρισσα, Κυπαρίσσιος, Κυπαρισσαία


Σελίδες τοπικής αυτοδιοίκησης


  Η Κυπαρισσία, πρωτεύουσα της επαρχίας Τριφυλίας, εκτείνεται μεταξύ του Ιονίου πελάγους και του βουνού «Ψυχρό» της οροσειράς των Κοντοβουνιών, στο πιο στενό μέρος του τριφυλιακού κάμπου. Πόλη πολυύμνητη, με απίθανα ηλιοβασιλέματα στο γαλάζιο φόντο του Ιονίου πελάγους.
  Η Κυπαρισσία έλαβε μέρος στον Τρωικό Πόλεμο υπό τον άνακτα Νέστορα και στους ιστορικούς χρόνους ο κόλπος της αναφέρεται ως «Κυπαρισσήεις».
  Την εποχή των κλασσικών χρόνων, όταν κυριαρχούσαν οι Θηβαίοι του στρατηγού Επαμεινώνδα, γνωρίζει μεγάλη οικονομική άνθιση. Υπήρξε μέλος της Αχαϊκής Συμπολιτείας και στη Ρωμαϊκή Εποχή, λόγω της θέσης της, ήταν εμπορικό και οικονομικό κέντρο. Το 10ο αιώνα μ.Χ ονομάζεται «Αρκαδιά» και στη Φραγκοκρατία (1205 - 1430) οδηγείται σε παρακμή. Το 1432 περνά στους Βυζαντινούς έως το 1460, όταν οι Τούρκοι γίνονται κυρίαρχοι της περιοχής. Η Τουρκοκρατία διήρκεσε έως το 1821 με διακοπή την περίοδο της Ενετοκρατίας (1685-1715), όταν πάλι η πόλη γνώρισε μεγάλη ακμή. Υπήρξε από τις πρώτες πόλεις που έλαβαν μέρος στην Ελληνική Επανάσταση του 1821 και καταστράφηκε από τον Ιμπραήμ Πασά το 1825 και το 1827.
  Σήμερα η πόλη με 5500 κάτοικους αποτελεί διοικητικό και οικονομικό κέντρο της Βορειοδυτικής Μεσσηνίας, το οποίο από ψηλά μοιάζει με δυο πολιτείες: τη μια σφηνωμένη στη ρίζα του φράγκικου κάστρου με τα καλντερίμια, τα παλιά αρχοντικά και το αγέρωχο κάστρο και την άλλη απλωμένη άνετα στην ακροθαλασσιά του κόλπου που ανοίγεται αμμουδερός και ολοφώτεινος στο περίλαμπρο κύμα του Ιονίου.

Το κείμενο παρατίθεται τον Μάρτιο 2003 από την ακόλουθη ιστοσελίδα, με φωτογραφία, της Νομαρχιακής Επιτροπής Τουριστικής Προβολής Μεσσηνίας

Σημερινή τοποθεσία

Ελληνικό, Α του χωριού Μουριατάδα

Είναι η πιo πιθανή τοποθεσία μετά τις ανασκαφές του καθηγή Σ. Μαρινάτου το 1960. Τα ευρήματα αυτών των ανασκαφών αντιστοιχούν στις περιόδους από κεραμεική μέχρι υστερομυναϊκή.

Έχετε τη δυνατότητα να δείτε περισσότερες πληροφορίες για γειτονικές ή/και ευρύτερες περιοχές επιλέγοντας μία από τις παρακάτω κατηγορίες και πατώντας το "περισσότερα":

GTP Headlines

Λάβετε το καθημερινό newsletter με τα πιο σημαντικά νέα της τουριστικής βιομηχανίας.

Εγγραφείτε τώρα!
Greek Travel Pages: Η βίβλος του Τουριστικού επαγγελματία. Αγορά online

Αναχωρησεις πλοιων