Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "KYNOSARGOUS
Information about the place (2)
Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
A place in the suburbs of Athens, where the school of the Cynics
was held. It derived its name from a white dog (kuon argos), which, when Diomus
was sacrificing to Heracles, snatched away part of the victim. It was adorned
with several temples. The most remarkable thing in it, however, was the Gymnasium,
where all strangers, who had but one parent an Athenian, had to perform their
exercises, because Heracles, to whom it was consecrated, had a mortal for his
mother and was not properly one of the immortals. Cynosarges is supposed to have
been situated at the foot of Mount Anchesmus.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Cynosarges (Kunosarges), was a sanctuary of Hercules and a gymnasium,
situated to the east of the city, not far from the gate Diomeia. It is said to
have derived its name from a white dog, which carried off part of the victim,
when sacrifices were first offered by Diomus to Hercules. (Paus. i. 19. § 3; Herod.
v. 63, vi. 116; Plut. Them. 1; Harpocrat. s. v. Herakleia; Hesych. Suid. Steph.
B. s. v. Kunosarges.) Antisthenes, the founder of the Cynic school, taught in
the Cynosarges. (Diog. Laert. vi. 13.) It was surrounded by a grove, which was
destroyed by Philip, together with the trees of the neighbouring Lyceium, when
he encamped at this spot in his invasion of Attica in B.C. 200. (Liv. xxxi. 24.)
Since Cynosarges was near a rising ground (Isocr. Vit. X. Orat. p. 838), Leake
places it at the foot of the south-eastern extremity of Mount Lycabettus, near
the point where the arch of the aqueduct of Hadrian and Antoninus formerly stood.
The name of this gymnasium, like that of the Academy, was also given to the surrounding
buildings, which thus formed a suburb of the city.
This extract is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.