PASSARON (Ancient city) IOANNINA
The ancient capital of the Molossi in Epeirus. where the kings and assembled people were accustomed to take mutual oaths, the one to govern according to the laws, the other to defend the kingdom. (Plut. Pyrrh. 5.) The town was taken by the Roman praetor L. Anicius Gallus in B.C. 167. (Liv. xlv. 26, 33, 34.) Its site is uncertain. but it was apparently on the sea-coast, as Anna Comnena mentions (vi. 5, p. 284, ed. Bonn) a harbour called Passara on the coast of Epeirus. If this place is the same as the older Passaron, the ruins at Dhramisius, which lie inland in a SSW. direction from Ioannina, cannot be those of the ancient capital of the Molossi. Those ruins are very considerable, and contain among other things a theatre in a very fine state of preservation. (Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iv.p. 81.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
A town of Epirus in Molossia, and the ancient capital of the Molossian kings.
The city in Central Epeiros in which the Molossian kings and people exchanged oaths (Plut. Pyrrh. 5.1). A temple of the late 4th c. B.C. has been excavated. Inscriptions show that the Molossian state and later the Epeirote Alliance passed resolutions here. The hill Gardhiki above Radotovi is crowned with a circuit wall ca. 1500 m long, built at various periods. Passaron controlled the route leading from the plain of Ioannina to the upper Kalamas valley.
N.G.L. Hammond, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!