VOUCHETION (Ancient city) PREVEZA
Bouchaition, Boucheton, Boucheta. A city of the Cassopaei in Thesprotia, a little above the sea. It is placed by Leake at the harbour of St. John, a few miles E. of Parga.
On the Louros river. Founded by Bouchetos (FHG 3. 153, Mnaseas fr. 25), later a colony of Elis (D.7.32) near the coast (Strab. 7.7.5). The river is navigable up to this point and curves round a steep limestone hill, fortified by an inner circuit wall, ca. 800 m long and an outer circuit wall ca. 1300 m long. Pottery from the mid 6th c. onwards has been found, and there are three stages of fortification. This city controlled the main route from inland Epeiros to the W part of the Gulf of Arta and enabled the Eleans to hold the peninsula of Preveza, rich in pasture, fisheries, and olives.
N.G.L. Hammond, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!