A port in Epeiros near Arpitsa. The top of a steep hill is fortified by a strong circuit wall ca. 1900 m long, and further fortifications descend to the side of Arilla Bay, which has a sandy beach suitable for small craft. There are remains of house foundations, a temple, and probably a theater. The harbor is well sited for trade with Kerkyra and with coastal shipping.
N.G.L. Hammond, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!