FANOTI (Ancient city) THESPROTIA
Eth. Phanoteus, (Pol.). A strongly fortified town of Chaonia in Epirus, and a place of military importance. It stood on the site of the modern Gardhiki, which is situated in the midst of a valley surrounded by an amphitheatre of mountains, through which there are only two narrow passes. It lies about halfway between the sea and the Antigonean passes, and was therefore of importance to the Romans when they were advancing from Illyria in B.C. 169.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
The ancient city is presumed to be at this site (Doliani). The castle stands on a hill that acted as a natural fortification, beside the Kalamas River and between the villages of Agios Georgios and Geroplatanos.
A site mentioned by Livy (45.26.37) on the Kalamas river in Epeiros. A steep hill in the fork between the Kalamas and a tributary is defended by a circuit wall ca. 800 m long, containing gateways and towers. It controls the narrows between the lower and upper reaches of the Kalamas.
N.G.L. Hammond, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!