Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "KERYNIA
Information about the place (2)
North of Mamoussia village
It was probably located to the north of the Mamousia village, where a theatre, a house, signs of fortification and tombs with important funeral gifts have been dug out.
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Keruneia, also Kerunia, Keraunia, Kerauneia, &c.: Eth. Keruneus. A
town of Achaia, was not originally one of the 12 Achaean cities, though it afterwards
became so, succeeding to the place of Aegae. Its population was increased by a
large body of Mycenaeans, when the latter abandoned their city to the Argives
in 468. Ceryneia is mentioned as a member of the League on its revival in B.C.
280; and one of its citizens, Marcus, was chosen in 255 as the first sole General
of the League. In the time. of Strabo, Ceryneia was dependent upon Aegium. It
was situated inland upon a lofty height, W. of the river Cerynites (Bokhusia),
and a little S. of Helice. Its ruins have been discovered on the height, which
rises above the left bank of the Cerynites, just where it issues from the mountains
into the plain. (Pol. ii. 41, 43; Paus. vii. 6. § 1, vii. 25. § 5; Strabo.) Theophrastus
stated that the wine of Ceryneia produced abortion. (Theophr. Hist. Plant. ix.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.