gtp logo

Location information

Listed 20 sub titles with search on: Information about the place  for wider area of: "KALAVRYTA Municipality ACHAIA" .

Information about the place (20)

Commercial WebPages

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)


KYNETHA (Ancient city) ACHAIA
  he Kunaitha: Eth. Kunaitheus, Kunaithaieus, Polyb.; Kunaithaeus, Paus.: Kalavryta), a town in the north of Arcadia, situated upon the northern slope of the Aroanian mountains, which divided its territory from those of Cleitor and Pheneus. The inhabitants of Cynaetha were the only Arcadians who lived beyond the natural boundaries of Arcadia. Their valley sloped down towards the Corinthian gulf; and the river which flowed through it, fell into the Corinthian gulf a little to the east of Bura: this river was called in ancient times Erasinus or Buraicus, now river of Kalavryta. (Strab. viii; Paus. vii. 24. § 5.) The climate and situation of Cynaetha are described by Polybius as the most disagreeable in all Arcadia. The same author observes that the character of the Cynaethians presented a striking contrast to that of the other Arcadians, being a wicked and cruel race, and so much disliked by the rest of their countrymen, that the latter would scarcely hold any intercourse with them. He attributes their depravity to their neglect of music, which had tended to humanize the other Arcadians, and to counteract the natural rudeness engendered by their climate. Accordingly, he regarded the terrible misfortune which overtook the Cynaethians in the Social war, when their city was destroyed by the Aetolians, as a righteous punishment for their wickedness. (Polyb. iv. 18--21.) Although Strabo (viii.) mentions Cynaetha as one of the Arcadian towns no longer existing in his time, it must have been restored at some period after its destruction by the Aetolians, as it was visited by Pausanias, who noticed in the agora altars of the. gods and a statue of the emperor Hadrian. At the distance of two stadia from the town was a fountain of cold water, called Alyssus, because it was said to cure hydrophobia. (Paus. viii. 19.) There can be no doubt that the modern village of Kalavryta occupies the site of Cynaetha, although it contains scarcely any traces of the ancient city.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


LEONTION (Ancient city) PATRA
  Leontion: Eth. Leontesios. A town of Achaia, was originally not one of the 12 Achaean cities, though it afterwards became so, succeeding to the place of Rhypes. It is only mentioned by Polybius, and its position is uncertain. It must, however, have been an inland town, and was probably between Pharae and the territory of Aegium, since we find that the Eleians under the Aetolian general Euripidas, after marching through the territory of Pharae as far as that of Aegium, retreated to Leontium. Leake places it in the valley of the Selinus, between the territory of Tritaea and that of Aegium, at a place now called Ai Andhrea, from a ruined church of that saint near the village of Guzumistra. Callicrates, the partizan of the Romans daring the later days of the Achaean League, was a native of Leontium.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


  Lusi, Lousoi, Lousoi, Loussoi, ta Loussa. Eth. Lousios, Louseus, Lousiates, Lousieus. A town in the north of Arcadia, originally independent of, but afterwards subject to, Cleitor. Lusi was situated in the upper valley of the Aroanius, and probably on the site of Sudhena, which stands in the NE. corner of the valley at the foot of Mt. Khelmos (the ancient Aroanian mountains), and on the road from Tripolitza to Kalavryta. The upper valley of the Aroanius, now called the plain of Sudhena, consists of two plains, of which the more easterly is the one through which the Aroanius flows, the waters of which force their way through a gorge in the mountains into the plain of Cleitor, now Katzana, to the south. The more westerly plain of Sudhena is entirely shut in by a range of hills; and the waters of three streams which flow into this plain are carried off by a katavothra, after forming an inundation, apparently the Lacus Clitorius mentioned by Pliny (xxxi. 2. s. 13). The air is damp and cold; and in this locality the best hemlock was grown (Theophr. ix. 15. § 8).
  Lusi was still independent in the 58th Olympiad; since one of its citizens is recorded to have gained the victory in the 11th Pythiad. (Paus. viii. 18. § 8.) Its territory was ravaged by the Aetolians in the Social War (Polyb. iv. 18); but in the time of Pausanias there were no longer even any ruins of the town. Its name, however, was preserved in consequence of its temple of Artemis Lusia or Hemerasia (the Soother ). The goddess was so called, because it was here that the daughters of Proetus were purified from their madness. They had concealed themselves in a large cavern, from which they were taken by Melampus, who cured them by sacred expiations. Thereupon their father Proetus founded this temple of Artemis Hemerasia, which was regarded with great reverence throughout the whole Peloponnesus as an inviolable asylum. It was plundered by the Aetolians in the Social War. It was situated near Lusi, at the distance of 40 stadia from Cynaetha. (Paus.; Polyb. ll. cc.; Callim. Dian. 233.) The interior of the temple, with the purification of the daughters of Proetus, is represented on an ancient vase. The ruins, which Dodwell discovered above Lusi towards the end of the plain, and on the road to Cynaetha, are probably those of the temple of Artemis Leake discovered some ancient foundations at the middle fountain of the three in the more westerly of the two plains of Sudhena, which he supposes to be the remains of the temple. One of the officers of the French Commission observed a large cave on the western side of the Aroanian mountains, in which the inhabitants of Sudhena were accustomed to take refuge during war, and which is probably the one intended in the legend of the daughters of Proetus.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks

Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities


KYNETHA (Ancient city) ACHAIA
nbsp;  A town of Arcadia, on the river Crathis, near the northern borders, and some distance to the northwest of Cyllene. It had been united to the Achaean League, but was betrayed to the Aetolians in the Social War. This was effected by some exiles, who, on their return to their native city, formed a plot for admitting the enemy within its walls. The Aetolians, accordingly, having crossed into Achaia with a considerable force, advanced to Cynaetha and easily scaled the walls; they then sacked the town and destroyed many of the inhabitants, not sparing even those to whose treachery they were indebted for their success. Polybius observes that the calamity which thus overwhelmed the Cynaethians was considered by many as a just punishment for their unusually depraved and immoral life.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


LEONTION (Ancient city) PATRA
A town in Achaia, between Pharae and Aegium.

Local government Web-Sites

Municipality of Kalavryta


Local government WebPages

Helmos Mount

(Following URL information in Greek only)


(Following URL information in Greek only)

Names of the place


It is a slabic word which means knoll, mountain. Its diminutive name is Chelmoutsi. It used to be a mountain top to the north of the village Mazi and later the name was given to the whole mountain. There is also another peak, called Neraidorachi (where there is the water of Styga) (Pausaniou Periegissis, vol. 4, p. 246, note 1).

Non-profit organizations WebPages

Kalavryta - Land of Martyrs and Heroes


Official Web-Sites


Natural Beauty
  Historical Kalavryta is the favorite place of many - mostly Greek - tourists. The name the town bears today dates from the Middle Ages, and derives from the words "kala vryta", meaning good springs.
What to see
  The beauty of the alternating site and the all-green mountain.
  The terminus of the funicular railway (since 1896).
  The old Public of Primary school which has become the Museum of Holocaust.
  The picturesque town.
  The market and the Metropolitan church.
  The Kallimanopoulion Diakonikon center.
  The Castle of Orias towering above the city. The beautiful town square, restaurants, coffee shops and charming night clubs.
What to visit
  The Monastery of Agia Lavra where the revolution of 1821 started. There you can admire the historical banner of the revolution and the heirlooms (5 klm).
  The Monastery of Mega Spileon (built on a rock) where the miraculous icon of virgin Mary (one of the four icons painted by Apostle Loukas) made of wax and mastic is being kept (10klm).
  The Museum where there are, among other things, a Gospel studded with diamonds, a gift of Catherine the Great, the skull of Saint Alexios, and the crozier and vestments of Bishop Yermanos.
  The Panhellenic Monument of 1821 (6 klm).
  The Execution Monument where the German conquerors executed every male citizen at 13 -12- 43 (1klm).
  The Ski Center (1600-2200 m. altitude) at which you can take ski lessons (12klm).
  The Cave of the Lakes at Kastria (16kms).
  The trout aquarium of Planitero placed on the foot of mountain Helmos, where you can try the tasty fried trout, fished and cooked on the spot (9klm).

This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image.

Orevatein WebPages

Perseus Project index

Lousoi, Lusi

Total results on 16/5/2001: 4 for Lousoi, 26 for Lusi.

Present location


LEONTION (Ancient city) PATRA

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites


KYNETHA (Ancient city) ACHAIA
  A city in Anzania founded probably during the archaic period near the town of Kalavryta. According to Polybios (4.18-21) the Kynaithaians far surpassed other Greeks in cruelty and wickedness. During the War of the Allied (220-217) the city was destroyed by the Aitolians. It was reinhabited and, during the Roman era, its citizens gained the right to issue coins. In the marketplace were altars of the gods, including an image of Zeus Olympias.

G. S. Korres, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


LEONTION (Ancient city) PATRA
  It is located in Achaia at the N foot of Erymanthos (Olonos), ca. 3 km from the modern village of Vlasia, at the 51st km on the Patras-Kalavryta road. It lies on a hill (present Kastritsi) 750-800 m above sea level, flanked by two parallel ravines to the E and NW. This site commands the roads from Aigion to Psophisa and from Patras to Kleitoria. The ruins, which were already known to 19th c. travelers, were investigated in 1954, 1957, and 1958.
  The walls of Leontion, carelessly made of local limestone in polygonal masonry (beginning of the 3d c. B.C.) are preserved along most of their length in the lower layers, and to some height particularly along the NW side. They are strengthened at intervals by several rectangular towers and one semicircular one. In one of the gates, which was excavated with a section of wall, the carbonized remains of the wooden door leaves were found together with the metal sheathing of iron plates and iron nails with wide, disk-shaped heads. In the stone of the threshold were found the bronze sockets for the door pivots. These are, with the rest of the finds, in the Patras Museum. Inside the walls are preserved a number of terrace walls, the foundations of several monumental buildings, a temple (?), a small theater, and numerous house remains. Most of the pottery sherds were Classical and Hellenistic, but some archaic and prehistoric pottery was also found.
  The best preserved building, the theater, touches the N corner of the wall. The lower part of the cavea was partially dug from the living rock and partly built up of hewn blocks. The walls of the parodos and scene building are preserved to a height of 1.50 m. The theater must be dated to the end of the 4th c. B.C. In the area of the ancient city were found tombs of the Roman period, which, with the carbonized door excavated in the gate, show that the city was destroyed in the Hellenistic period and was thereafter used as a cemetery. The settlement seems to have moved a little to the S where evidences of its existence have long been known. Leontion may have been destroyed in 217 B.C. by the Aitolians when, as allies of the Eleians, they invaded and plundered Achaia (Polyb. 5.94). In Classical times Leontion was not independent, but probably belonged in the territory of Rhypai. It seems to have become autonomous only in the Hellenistic period, and was a member of the Achaian League (Polyb. 2.41.8). In 275 B.C. Antigonos Gonatas refounded the city (Strab. 8.7.5, p. 388).

N. Yalouris, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


  Originally an independent town, it later came under the jurisdiction of Kleitor; the site lies between the modern villages of Sudena and Chamaku. According to one legend, it was at a rock spring there where the daughters of Proitos were purified and cured of madness by Melampos; in gratitude their father established the Sanctuary of Artemis Hemerasia, which was surrounded by a deer park. A draught of the spring water was supposed to result in a permanent aversion to wine. Although Pausanias found nothing left at Lousoi, 19th c. travelers reported numerous springs in the area; excavations in 1898 uncovered a fountain-house, bouleuterion, propylaia, and temple. These structures appeared to be of the late 4th or early 3d c. B.C. although other finds indicated that the sanctuary had been in use as early as the 6th.

M. H. Mc Allister, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures