A titular see and suffragan of Patras,
in Achaia Quarta, one of the twelve primitive cities of Achaia,
on the left bank of the Peirus near Dyme.
It is mentioned as early as 280 B.C. Shortly after, its inhabitants retired to
the villages of Peirai, Euryteiai,
and Dyme. At the time of
Strabo, who locates it forty stadia from Dyme
and eighty from Patras, it
was in ruins. It must have regained its population, for Honorius III in 1217 appointed
its first bishop there.
From the occupation of the Morea by the Franks, the Church of Olenus had been governed by the Archdeacon John, chaplain of Villehardouin. The Latin Diocese of Olenus was substituted for the ancient Greek See of Elos, and covered the same territory. In the beginning the Latins formed two dioceses, that of Olenus and that of Andravilla, the residence of the princes of Morea; moreover it had only one bishop, that of Olenus, who usually lived at Andravilla or Andravida. The Greek See of Olenus was established shortly after 1340 with that of Kernitza, at the same time Patras had lost all its suffragans.
To day Olenus occupies the site of Tsukaleika on the sea, about seven miles from Patras on the way from Olympia.
S. Vailhe, ed.
Transcribed by: William D. Neville
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.
Olenus. A town of Achaia, and originally one of the 12 Achaean cities, was situated on the coast, and on the left bank of the river Peirus, 40 stadia from Dyme, and 80 stadia from Patrae. On the revival of the Achaean League in B.C. 280, it appears that Olenus was still in existence, as Strabo says that it did not join the league; but the inhabitants subsequently abandoned the town, and retired to the neighbouring villages of Peirae (Peirai), and Euryteiae (Euruteiai), and to Dyme. In the time of Polybius, however, Olenus was no longer inhabited; and in the time of Strabo it was in ruins, and its territory belonged to Dyme. There are some remains of the ancient city at Kato or Palea-Akhaia.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!