A coastal small city at the entrance of the Amvrakikos
gulf. It is 114km from Messolongi
and it has 4,081 residents. It was founded in the 4th century AD. In the 14th
century it subjugated to the king of Neapolis, in the 15th century it subjected
to the Venetians, in 1797 to the French and then to Ali Pasha. It was liberated
in 1828. In 1862 it became the capital of Griva's revolution against Othona. The
city was built on the foundations of the ancient Anaktorio.
Remains of a medieval castle at the peak of the mountain. There is a chapel of St. Sophia - 12th century - at the same area.
There are very interesting churches of the Holy Mother with nice wall paintings, of St. Ioannis and of St. Spiridonas.
An archaeological museum at the village Thirio, with findings from the area, classical and Roman inscriptions, a marble bas-relief of a female figure (4th century), a headless statue of Artemis, a cluster by Mithra, part of a Roman mosaic etc.
Archaeological site and a Venetian castle in Aktio.
An old city is sunk in lake Voulkanias. There is the point from which Kleopatra and her fleet passed before the great naval battle between Oktavios and Markos Antonios.
A Venetian castle, 18klm from Vonitsa.
This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!