This small town which used to be a place of exile, is now an ideal
place for relaxation and meditation. It is 100 km from Messolongi,
it has 2,266 residents and it is situated next to Trichonida
lake. There are remains of the ancient city near the village. That city was
an ancient political and religious center of the Etolians. Sights
site with remains of the temple of Thermios Apollonas and of the "Etolian
Koipsos", that was a big arcade, 170 m. long. The archaeological
museum has been founded in the same site. It includes findings from the excavations
of the temple and of Kalidona,
clay statues from Hrisovitsa,
Roman inscriptions etc. The community center accommodates the library of Apokourou.
The church of St. Nikolas built on the basis of the temple of Artemis.
of St. Kosmas at Mega Dendro,
dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary at Mirtia. According to an inscription,
it was built in 1491.
of the Shelter with old remarkable wall drawings and the monastery
of St. Paraskevi in Mandra.