THISSOA (Ancient city) ANDRITSENA
Eth. Theisoates. A town of Arcadia, in the district Cynuria or Parrhasia, on the northern slope of Mt. Lycaeus, called after the nymph Theisoa, one of the nurses of Zeus. Its inhabitants were removed to Megalopolis upon the foundation of the latter city. Leake places it at the castle of St. Helen above Lavdha. Ross discovered some ancient remains N. of Andritzana, which he conjectures may be those of Theisoa.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!