Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "MAKRAKOMI
Information about the place (3)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
A city N of Spercheios, NE of the modern village of Varibopi (less
than an hour on foot), and S of Platystomon. It is mentioned by Livy (30.13.10-14)
when he tells how the Aitolians invaded Thessaly, which had been abandoned by
Philip V in 198 after his defeat on the Aoos. The city was destroyed at this time.
The acropolis, which is elongated in shape, measures 620 m in the
NS axis and 280 m in the WE axis and has a total perimeter of 1550 m (ca. 8 stadia
or 185 m). It is protected by a rampart that follows the outer curve exactly at
a constant level of 440 m. Well preserved to N and S with two to four courses
in elevation, the wall is flanked by square towers 5 m each side, spaced 20-29
m apart. There may have been a gate to the W and another one symmetrical to it
to the E. Inside the rampart are several walls of unknown purpose; halfway up
the hillside are the remains of a necropolis. The city spread out on the NE side
of the hill; four inscriptions, one of which is a dedication to Isis, have been
found on its outskirts. The fortress had strategic value and overlooked the approach
to the valley. From it one can see as far as Hypata.
Y. Bequignon, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Project index
Macra Come, Makrakome, Makrakomi
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
A place mentioned by Livy (xxxii. 13) along with Sperchiae. Its position is uncertain,
but it was perhaps a town of the Aenianes.
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.