Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "TIFA
Information about the place (3)
Elements from Princeton Encyclopedia
. . .At the E end of the bay of Domvraina is the port of Siphai (Aliki) whose fortress, built on a steep rock, is well preserved. At the summit (Mavrovouni) of the coastal chain, on the road from Thespiai to Siphai, is a square 4th c. tower; close by, inside a surrounding wall of partly polygonal masonry are the remains of an archaic temple, possibly dedicated to Artemis Agrotera. . . . From 447 to 423 Thespiai headed two of the 11 Boiotian districts; they included the Sanctuary of the Muses, Eutresis, Leuktra, Kreusis, and three independent cities from 338: Thisbe and the ports of Siphai and Chorsiai.
This extract is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Oct 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Project index
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Siphai, Tipha, Eth. Giphaios, Tiphaieus. A town of Boeotia, upon the
Corinthian gulf, which was said to have derived its name from Tiphys, the pilot
of the Argonauts. In the time of Pausanias the inhabitants of Siphae pointed out
the spot where the ship Argo anchored on its return from its celebrated voyage.
The same writer mentions a temple of Hercules at Siphae, in whose honour an annual
festival was celebrated. (Paus. ix. 32. § 4) Thucydides (Thuc. iv. 76), Apollonius
Rhodius (i. 105), and Stephanus B. describe Siphae as a dependency of Thespiae;
and it is accordingly placed by Muller and Kiepert at Alikes. But Leake draws
attention to the fact that Pausanias describes it as lying W. of Thisbe; and he
therefore places it at port Sarandi, near the monastery dedicated to St. Taxiarches,
where are the remains of a small Hellenic city. On this supposition the whole
of the territory of Thisbe would lie between Thespiae and Siphae, which Leake
accounts for by the superiority of Thespiae over all the places in this angle
of Boeotia, whence the whole country lying upon this part of the Corinthian gulf
may have often, in common acceptation, been called the Thespice.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.