AMVROSSOS (Ancient city) VIOTIA
Ambrysus or Amphrysus (Ambrusos, Strab.; Ambrossos, Paus.; Amphrusos, Steph. B. s.v.: Eth. Ambrusios, Ambruseus, and in Inscr. Ambrosseus Dhistomo). a town of Phocis, was situated 60 stadia from Stiris, NE. of Anticyra, at the southern foot of Mt. Cirphis (not at the foot of Parnassus, as Pausanias states), and in a fertile valley, producing abundance of wine and the coccus, or kermes berry, used to dye scarlet. It was destroyed by order of the Amphictyons, but was rebuilt and fortified by the Thebans with a double wall, in their war against Philip. Its fortifications were considered by Pausanias the strongest in Greece, next to those of Messene. (Paus. x. 3. § 2, x. 36. § 1, seq., iv. 31. § 5; Strab. p. 423.) It was taken by the Romans in the Macedonian war, B.C. 198. (Liv. xxxii. 18.) The site of Ambrysus is fixed at the modern village of Dhistomo, by an inscription which Chandler found at the latter place. The remains of the ancient city are few and inconsiderable. (Dodwell, Tour through Greece, vol. i. p. 196, seq.; Leake, Northern Greece, vol. ii. p. 535, seq.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited July 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
STIRIS (Ancient city) DISTOMO
Eth. Stirites. A town of Phocis situated 120 stadia from Chaeroneia, the road between the two places running across the mountains. The inhabitants of Stiris claimed descent from an Athenian colony of the Attic demus of Steiria, led by Peteus, when he was driven out of Attica by Aegeus. Pausanias describes the city as situated upon a rocky summit, with only a few wells, which did not supply water fit for drinking, which the inhabitants obtained from a fountain, four stadia below the city, to which fountain there was a descent excavated among the rocks. The city contained in the time of Pausanias a temple of Artemis Stiritis, made of crude brick, containing two statues, one of Pentelic marble, the other of ancient workmanship, covered with bandages. (Paus. x. 35. § § 8 - 10.) Stiris was one of the Phocian cities destroyed by Philip at the close of the Sacred War (Paus. x. 3. § 2); but it was afterwards rebuilt and was inhabited at the time of the visit of Pausanias. The ruins of Stiris, now called Palea khora, are situated upon a tabular height defended by precipitous rocks, about a quarter of an hour's ride from the monastery of St. Luke. The summit is surrounded with a wall of loose construction, and the surface of the rock within the inclosure is excavated in many places for habitations. The fountain of water described by Pausanias is probably the copious source within the walls of the monastery issuing from the side of the hill. This fountain is mentioned in an inscription fixed in the outer wall of the church. (Leake, Northern Greece, vol. ii. p. 528, seq.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!