STAGIRA (Ancient city) HALKIDIKI
Stageiros, Stageira, al. Stanteira. A town of Chalcidice in Macedonia, and a colony of Andros. The army of Xerxes, after passing through the plain of Syleus, passed through Stageirus to arrive at Acanthus. In the eighth year of the Peloponnesian War it surrendered to Brasidas, and two years afterwards was included in the treaty between Sparta and Athens. It was the birthplace of Aristotle. Alexander, from regard to his great teacher, restored this town, which with other Grecian colonies in that quarter had fallen into decay, when W. Thrace had become part of the Macedonian kingdom. (Plut. Alex. 7; Diog. Laert. v. § 4; Theophr. H. P. 102; Aelian, V. H. iii. 17.) But the improvement was not permanent, and no memorial of the birthplace of Aristotle remains, unless the coins inscribed Orthagoreon are of this place, as Eckhel (vol. ii. p. 73) supposed, on the authority of a fragment in the Geographi Minores (vol. iv. p. 42, ed. Hudson). Leake (Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 168) has fixed the site at Stavros, which he considers to be a contraction of the old name: it is almost presumption to differ with so great an authority in comparative geography; but it may be observed that the name Stavros or Cross is common enough in Greece, and Mr. Bowen (Mount Athos, &c. p. 120, London, 1852) has shown, from a comparison with the passage in Herodotus, that the traditional belief of the Macedonian peasants in identifying Isboros or Nizoro, as it is called by them, with Stageirus, rests upon satisfactory grounds. The position of this village, on the S. face of a wooded mountain which commands a view of Mt. Athos and the Aegean, is very much that of an Hellenic city, and there are vast substructions of Hellenic masonry all around. The Epitomiser of Strabo (vii. p. 331), who lived not long before the eleventh century, has a port and island called Caprus (Kapros) near Stageirus, which is probably the island of Leftheridha near C. Marmari; Leake prefers, in accordance with his views that Stavros represents Stageirus, the port and island of Lybtzadha.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
(Stageiros), subsequently Stagira (ta Stageira). Now Stavro; a town of Macedonia, in Chalcidice, on the Strymonic Gulf, and a little north of the isthmus which unites the promontory of Athos to Chalcidice. It was a colony of Andros, was founded B.C. 656, and was originally called Orthagoria. It is celebrated as the birthplace of Aristotle, who in English literature is often spoken of as "the Stagirite."
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Museum (Mouseion). Originally a temple of the Muses, then a place dedicated to
the works of the Muses. In this sense the most remarkable and most important museum
of antiquity was that established at Alexandria by Ptolemy Philadelphus in the
first half of the third century B.C., or perhaps by his father, Ptolemy Soter...
The Alexandrian Museum was probably suggested by the Museum at Athens founded in accordance with the will of Theophrastus, the pupil of Aristotle ( Diog. Laert.v. 5). This may have taken its name (Mouseion) from the earlier Mouseion at Stagira, Aristotle's birthplace.
Total results: 8 Stagira, 4 Stagiros, 7 Stagirus, 4 Stageirus
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!